Re: Fedora/Linux Security Guide

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:19:37 +1000
Scott Radvan <sradvan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:55:05 -0400
> Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So why not in your Introduction to Security section explain what
> > this guide will not cover?  SELinux and refer to the guides that do
> > cover it there.
>

> You make a good point, mention of SELinux was quite buried among
> other stuff, so I've added a short section early on in the guide to
> briefly describe it and refer to further information. Thanks for
> pointing this out.
>
> Specifically, section 1.1.2 which you can see here:
>
> http://sradvan.fedorapeople.org/Security_Guide/en-US/

Some general comments:

- As of F10 (I think) sha256 is the default, not md5 for passwords.
Check the "2.1.3. Password Security" section for that?

- Where you mention tools it might be cool to mention the ones that are
  available in Fedora/EPEL currently. Might be too hard to tag them all
  and keep it up to date however.

- Section "2.4.7.1. Device Ownership". Is pam_console really still used
  for this? I thought ConsoleKit did all the setup anymore.

- How about a section on openvpn? It should be a lot easier rand more
  flexable than ipsec.

- ecryptfs might be worth a mention in the encryption section.
Possibly also fuse-encfs ?

Thats the ones I see off the top of my head. ;)

Thanks for writing this up!

kevin