[Scitech] Re: Self introduction: Ankur Sinha (FranciscoD)

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 13:31:59 +1000, Amit Saha wrote:
> Hello Ankur,

Hi Amit!

> On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 8:25 PM Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     Hello,
> <snippity>
>
> Welcome to the group! I hope you are familiar with Fedora Scientific [1] - it
> is an effort to promote fedora as a open science platform.

Yes! I keep asking my lab mates to install it. Thanks so much for
working on this!

> We will also be having Vagrant boxes [2] with the Fedora 28 release.
> Since I personally am not involved in scientific research any more, my
> efforts on fedora scientific is more or less in a "maintenance" mode -
> hence, if you have ideas, we should look to collaborate to help take
> it to the next level!

Yes, of course! I intend to remain in research (going to go looking for
post-docs soon) so I'll be around to keep things going.  I'm trying to
focus my Fedora contributions towards Science now so that my $dayjob and
Fedora work are somewhat in sync :)

My priority currently is to have a Fedora Workstation based NeuroFedora
ISO to provide neuroscientists with a ready to use system. My experience
at the lab, even while only anecdotal, suggests the following:

- neuroscience is very interdisciplinary
- people with a computing background are a *minority* (I'm only 1 of
  ~10 people in the lab that has a computing background---the others are
  physicists/biologists/mathematicians/psychologists/chemists).
- researchers, especially senior researchers that have very limited time
  want a system that "just works". They do not have time to build/debug
  software, and often this results in them moving to Mac/Windows where
  binaries are available.
- some form of technical support is required (also results in people
  moving to proprietary tools that may have a support channel)
- documentation is a must, even if it is just a list of links---people
  from non-computing backgrounds do not tend to read source code to
  learn tools/libraries.

I expect I'll use the Fedora Scientific image as a base image and build
on that. ;)

Off the top of my head, I have one or two ideas:

- Does it make sense to bring the various specific SIGs under the
  Science SIG?  NeuroFedora[1] would fall under Scientific, and so would
  the ML sig[2] and others.  Specifically:
* it would make the Science SIG the general purpose base that various
  specific sciences can build on
* given the massive overlap in packages, we'd all be able to help each
  other out with maintaining common packages. The neurosig, for example,
  shares package maintaining responsibilities[3] and the robotics and
  astro SIGs seem to do that too[4,5].  Could we perhaps make the "base"
  packages owned by the Science SIG as the "core" set in a way similar
  to how Fedora modularity works?

If the above seems like a good idea, I can reach out to the various SIGs
and see what they think about it. More could be done then:

* What do folks think of using "Science" as a tag on Ask Fedora for
  users to ask questions at? I could add subtags for the various
  sciences? (Ask Fedora is now hosted by upstream for us, so it works
  quite nicely).

- I'm really glad the science SIG has documentation. Are there any plans
  to migrate it over to the new docs.fedoraproject.org website[6]? I'm
  hoping I can get the docs team to do a classroom session on writing
  docs[7]. We could then have a similar structure there: common
  information under "Science SIG" and each speciality could have its own
  documentation too.

> I also have the GitHub Fedora Scientific organization [3] where I maintain some
> related projects and couple of other contributors also have imported their
> projects to (as far as I can recall) to help their own packaging efforts.

Ah, may I please join it? My github username is: sanjayankur31[8].
Please feel free to ping me on issues I may be able to help with.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/NeuroFedora
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/ML
[3] https://src.fedoraproject.org/group/neuro-sig
[4] https://src.fedoraproject.org/group/robotics-sig