Re: Fedora scientific packaging

On 24.11.2014 01:19, Amit Saha wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sandro Mani" <manisandro@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Development discussions related to Fedora" <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, scitech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:32:43 AM
Subject: Fedora scientific packaging

Hello,

Some time ago I started working on packaging Salome, the platform for
numerical simulation. As always, time is a limited resource, and things
kinda stalled after hitting a few issues here and there, despite most of
the work being done. Now, with Jiri Kastner joining the effort, we
decided that it would be nice to attempt to make the effort of packaging
scientific packages for Fedora in general more public, in particular
considering the scientific-spin effort [1].
Many of the larger scientific packages tend to be very complex and their
build systems occasionally somewhat fragile... So getting more
interested people involved would likely increase the chances of the
efforts succeeding.

That said, there is now a github repo which contains the
work-in-progress stuff for packaging Salome (and some initial OpenFOAM
work) here [2]. People interested in joining these efforts or sharing
initial work on other scientific packages are very welcome to join the
github project.

This is great. I created the Fedora Scientific organization on GitHub some time back [1].
Do you think you would want to get your repo moved here? I can of course make you an admin,
member, etc.

[1] https://github.com/FedoraScientific
Ah, definitely, happy to move things there!

Best,
Sandro