Re: Fedora Scientific

Hello:

On 10/14/2011 01:41 AM, Stuart Mumford wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  >Please see the f16 comps file [1]
>  >for all the packages which are installed as mandatory in the
>  >@engineering-and-scientific group.
>
> Ok, excellent I wondered where that full list was hiding.
>
>  >Thanks for your  suggestions. Funny, I think I missed 'spyder'
>
> Definitely include spyder, think it is the best DE for scientific
> software I have used (miles above Eclipse in the form of the IDL DE)

Hmm. Will do that in the next KS file. Thanks!

> I have thought of another couple of packages that I use, both of which
> are flagged as optional in the @engineering-and-scientific group, does
> this mean they get installed?
>
> pybibliographer (a BibTeX editor)
> Asymptote (a graphing language that integrates with LaTeX)

No, only the packages marked as mandatory get installed. But, I can
patch the comps file to modify them to mandatory and hence will be
installed.

>  > Do you mean to say, that you would like to install just the packages
> which are needed for running IDL?
>
> That is exactly what I meant, it took me about 1 hour to dig myself out
> of IDL 7 dependency hell when I needed to install it. I posted up the
> list of dependencies and how I worked them out on my blog.
> http://goo.gl/6a7jM <http://goo.gl/6a7jM%20>
>
>  > its something which could be definitely looked into.
>
> It's not a huge number of packages, although a lot of 32bit versions of
> already install 64bit packages were needed. Could some kind of
> "meta-package" be created to allow it to be easily installed if needed?

As far as I know, Fedora's "package groups" try to address such a
concern. I might be completely off track here though. But, please
discuss this issue on the packaging list, if you are interested to
create such a meta-package or equivalent. This is actually a very
interesting line of thought..

>  > Also, how do you find, GNU Data language [1]?
>
> Ohhhhh, never seen that before!! That might be worth putting in?
> Is there a GUI for it? (like the IDL DE)

Not sure..I have to explore it..:)

>  > I will try and see if keeping GNOME3 based spin is possible or not.
>
> What about an option on install? Or would that cause issues with the iso
> size?

As of now, we are just at about 2.2 G, so we have enough size (DVD size
total) to include both DEs. I will have to explore this option with the
spins SIG.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Best,
-Amit

http://echorand.me