Re: *tap* *tap* Is this thing on?

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 18:14:39 -0000, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Hi, possible Robotics SIG folks!

Hiya,

> I know a lot of the base packages in
> https://labs.fedoraproject.org/en/robotics/ are still being maintained
> and updated, but I'm curious about the future of the Suite itself.
>
> I've gotten some pings recently about ROS (https://www.ros.org/), and
> wonder if any of the folks here (if anyone is still around) has any
> interest.

I think the packages are all being maintained (even though I've not
actively been helping recently):

https://src.fedoraproject.org/group/robotics-sig

If you're asking about the full ROS stack, that's historically been very
difficult to package. So we have stuck to providing the base packages
required to install everything else. Not sure if that's changed.

> I'm also curious if Robotics Suite still makes sense as a spin, or if
> might be better as a set of containers and use case for Fedora IoT.

Not sure about any of this I'm afraid. I know folks still use ROS on
workstations/laptops in research. I haven't seen people use it with
containers/IoT etc. in the labs I know yet.

--
Thanks,
Regards,