Re: rosdep install fails with ament_pep8: No definition of [python3-pep8] for OS version [32] on Fedora 32, deprecated

On Aug 14, 2020 12:01, Robert Kudyba <rkudyba@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You should skip the key when invoking rosdep (--skip-keys) and install the package manually via pip.

 --skip-keys was part of the command:
rosdep install --from-paths src --ignore-src --rosdistro dashing -y --skip-keys "console_bridge fastcdr fastrtps libopensplice67 libopensplice69 rti-connext-dds-5.3.1 urdfdom_headers"

I meant that python3-pep8 should be added to --skip-keys, like this: rosdep install --from-paths src --ignore-src --rosdistro dashing -y --skip-keys "console_bridge fastcdr fastrtps libopensplice67 libopensplice69 rti-connext-dds-5.3.1 urdfdom_headers python3-pep8"

Now I do see from pip it's already installed with Python 3.8:
Requirement already satisfied: pep8 in /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages (1.7.1)

The pip package will satisfy the requirement, but rosdep isn't configured to look for it, which is why the key needs to be skipped. So you should be good here.

> Note that this is only a problem for Eloquent and older. In Foxy, I converted the package to use pycodestyle directly.

I tried with foxy, same error:
rosdep install --from-paths src --ignore-src --rosdistro foxy -y --skip-keys "console_bridge fastcdr fastrtps libopensplice67 libopensplice69 rti-connext-dds-5.3.1 urdfdom_headers"
ERROR: the following packages/stacks could not have their rosdep keys resolved
to system dependencies:
ament_pep8: No definition of [python3-pep8] for OS version [32]

The --rosdistro argument to rosdep is really only useful on Ubuntu right now, and I don't think it does what you want it to do even when it does work. You need to update the sources in your src directory to Foxy. The ament_pep8 package doesn't exist in Foxy, so the sources are definitely older than Foxy.

Thanks for the reply Scott, I'm feeling more hopeful. Could it be a Python version issues, e.g., Fedora's Python vs Anaconda Python?

Whichever Python version is used when you invoke the "python3" executable is the one that ROS 2 will use, I believe.

BTW, are questions about Gazebo allowed? Using X2Go it segfaults and I posted that here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/sr-ros-interface/+bug/1891654

For questions like this, you should really post on https://answers.ros.org and https://answers.gazebosim.org. I think this list is intended more for discussion than support.

Thanks,

--scott