Re: Bloom gets an RPM generator and using SCLs for ROS

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Looks like someone finished what I'd begun:

https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/bloom/pull/228

I'll test it out ASAP.

This is great news.  I'll look into updating some of the packages that are called out as out of date in the ticket.

Since we're moving towards using SCLs with Fedora.next, I was wondering
if we could use SCLs to provide ROS releases in parallel? What do you
folks think?

I think that's a reasonable approach.  It looks like the SCL guidelines are still in the works, but we can probably get started using them anyway.

Do you think should try to get the packages into Fedora proper once the SCL process is defined?  I think that would mean some manual work for each package (getting it reviewed, making sure the generated spec conforms to whatever packaging guidelines apply, etc)

Similarly, does it make sense to see if the OSRF wants to take care of building and maintaining Fedora packages in tandem with their Ubuntu release process?  SCLs are kind of designed to make it easier for third party distributors to create and provide sane packages, and if bloom knows how to do so then it might not be so bad.  On the other hand, keeping such a large packageset in sync with two distributions is probably going to be a lot of work, and probably isn't going to scale if they ever want to add official builds for more distributions in the future.  Keeping packages within the Fedora ecosystem means you get the benefit of warnings if dependencies shift from underneath you, coordinated updates, etc.

I think that it would be good to coordinate with the OSRF on this, and see if they plan on providing packages themselves.  If not, we need to coordinate the best way to get their packages into Fedora (copr, fedora SCL, etc.)

Rich