Re: [Fedora Robotics] f16 robotics spin

On 07/11/2011 01:48 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:41:50 -0400,
>    Rich Mattes<richmattes@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I thought i remembered seeing the spin submission deadline was coming up
>> soon, so I checked this morning.  Turns out that the deadline for spin
>> submission is tomorrow (July 12).  Oh dear.  We already have a
>> spin-in-progress page going[1], I'm going to update our git repo[2] tonight
>> with the latest base .ks file and have our spin's .ks pull in our new comps
>> group.  I'll also fix up our spin wiki page and make sure its up to snuff
>> with the guidelines, then mark it ready for the wrangler.  After tomorrow's
>> submission deadline, we have two weeks before the spin freeze where we can
>> test thoroughly and make sure our spin works.  I'll be in the
>> #fedora-robotics channel on IRC while i'm working.
> While it is a good idea to try to get stuff in promptly, given the Spins SIG
> continues to not function very well, I wouldn't consider the deadline to
> be hard. Our Wrangler also is very busy at work and hasn't had much time
> for spins recently.
>
> Also there has been discussion about changing the way spins are handled
> so that SIGs can have spins. There should be notes about this on either
> the advisory board list or in some of the board's meeting notes. The Cloud
> guys are doing this, and you may want to look at what they are doing
> as a model.
>
> Also at some point space used for images is an issue, that releng gets to
> weigh in on. With most spins being relagated to torrent only, I don't
> think that is as much of an issue. (I believe the size being mirrored was
> the bottleneck in the past.)

Thanks for the update!  I had a look at the advisory board's mailing
list archives from the past couple of months, I saw some mention of the
spins process in the latest meeting recap but I couldn't find any more
details (just the recap outline.)

I think that we would be OK with managing the spin ourselves, but it
would still be beneficial to have some sort of review, if only because
it's all of our first attempt at creating a kickstart.

It looks like infrastructure is still up in the air.  We are targeting a
4gb dvd size, and would like to have the ISO available somewhere even if
it's only one server.  Our spin is pretty niche, so it probably won't
have a giant download volume.  And if we have a bittorrent tracker, we
can spread the load a little bit more.

In any case, I have updated & tested our .ks file, and edited our spin's
wiki page[1] to reflect its location and the location of some of the
spin-related artwork we filed design team tickets for.  I guess we will
keep playing it by ear as the spins process is refined and keep an eye
on the spins mailing list for further developments.

Rich

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Robotics_Spin