Re: [Fedora Robotics] unified robots udev and policykit rules package

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Rich Mattes <richmattes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The maintainence thing could be eased somewhat by creating a robotics group

Yes -- it can be a package where all robotis-and-related packagers get
access -- not sure if FAS does "group accounts".

> There's a lot of different ways to access devices, so one solution probably
> isn't going to work.  For example, the Arduino package now ships with a
> policykit policy and a launcher that checks to see if your user is in the
> requsite dialout and lock groups[1]

That is interesting but very weird. As a user, why would I need to
call an admin? Fedora and other distros are consolidating on the view
that "user at the console" is the important criteria.

> You can get by with a udev rule that sets the
> camera to 0666.

Um. I don't think 0666 access mode is a good idea.

 martin@xxxxxxxxxx -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions