Re: [Fedora Robotics] [Fedora-spins] Robotics Spin

On 16.11.2010 12:36, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> Well there is a difference between having Fedora publish the ISO, especially
> a large one, and having your SIG do it. The downside of Fedora doing it,
> is more work for release engineering and getting stuff out to the mirrors
> on release day, and that image is frozen throughout the release. If your
> group does it, you can do occasional respins to get updated version of
> packages. (There can be tricky parts to that as sometimes updates can break
> anaconda or livecd-creator outpuit.)

Thank you Bruno for this insight. It makes, however, the picture ever
more blurry to me on how to proceed, and what to expect. Below are more
questions, thanks for your patience.

Is there webspace or anything that can be used for ISOs if we release it
by ourselves? Is there any way to get it out onto the mirrors? How do
other SIGs do it, and who maintains spins.fedoraproject.org? I have seen
mainly torrent addresses. Is that the central way of distributing a spin
then?

> about how spins are being promoted and whether or not that helps or hinders
> Fedora. Note the latter is about how spins are promoted on the Fedora web

I always liked the idea of spins. I haven't used many regularly, but it
allows to provide a focused subset of functionality, and especially the
"give-away" aspect for specific target groups seems important. It's much
nicer having a single point of information (and something that you can
use and try) for a specific field, than telling someone "Install Fedora,
than install package X and you have sorta what we mean". The barrier of
just trying something out, especially to attract new people to Fedora,
is much lower with a LiveCD, that you can stick into your laptop or VM.

What is the further procedure for the Spin then? You look over it and
give some kind of pre-approval? Does the FESCo-thing still happen?

 From what it looks like we should concentrate on the F15 feature and
the spin is a collateral effect of that?

	Tim

--
     Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>      www.niemueller.de