Re: [Fedora Robotics] What is qualified as "Packages related to Robotics"?!

Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 11/09/2010 7:03:51 PM +0350:
On 08.11.2010 18:17, Rich Mattes wrote:

Perhaps we could make fedoraproject.org/wiki/Robotics into a landing page
showing off the technologies available in Fedora, with screenshots of
Player, Stage, Fawkes, RoboCup, etc. in action.  We could probably organize
it into Frameworks (player, fawkes rccsserver), Simulators (stage,
gazebo[eventually] rcsssimulator3d),  Development Environments (Arduino),
and Libraries (Gearbox, URG, OpenCV, etc.).  We could also provide links to
each package in pkgdb, etc.  fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Robotics would be
changed to contain the organizational stuff that's at wiki/Robotics, and
we'd provide a link to it from the main Robotics page.
I like this idea. This gives a better visibility and attracts people.
Once they are in our cobweb we can fan out with some links to more info.

We could also try to get a cool looking Fedora Robotics banner made like the
one in [1] (maybe talk to the design team?) and provide links to learning
resources for each package/framework/etc.

I think the ultimate goal is to have a really nice Spins page like [2], but
for now I don't see why we can't make a nice presence on the wiki.
I like that idea. I suck at such things, so someone else needs to take
care of this. I see my effort more in packaging, preparing the demo, and
generating a LiveCD.
On a related note: for all the software we might be interested in I
think we are more targetting a LiveDVD, rather than a LiveCD, but let's
see where we end up.

As far as packaging proposals (i.e. Julius), I think we kind of have that in
place now in the "Interesting Pacakges Proposed for Packaging" section.
  Perhaps we could consolidate all of those sections into just "Wishlist,"
"In Progress," "Complete," and "Won't Package" sections.  It might be more
straightforward that way.
Agreed. We should also now focus on what we have and make a nice demo
out of it, and only secondary pull in new stuff until that is done imho.
That doesn't mean "don't add new packages", of course. I just would like
to focus our efforts on a small set of packages we connect to a nice
demo and we can get (mostly) done until feature freeze, and then we can
add all the useful robotics packages to the spin, especially to support
as much hardware out-of-the-box as possible. We should not forget that
documentation of how to use all that stuff will also be a crucial part.

Hedayat: I have seen that you have added ROS to the wishlist. I have
worked with it for some time now and visited Willow Garage and talked to
some of the folks over there. Atm it is not even close to a shape where
it could be packaged in a way acceptable for Fedora guidelines (the
build and ROS-internal package system is just not up to it, yet). They
are working on improvements, but it'll take some time. I'll also keep
watching this. I have ported the Fawkes behavior engine to ROS, so
ideally one can develop on that level independent of the underlying
framework (to a certain degree). So if we write a Fawkes demo now, we
might be able to reuse it on ROS with minimal modifications when the
time comes.
Thank you very much for the information. :)

Hedayat

Regards,
	Tim