[Fedora Robotics] C programmable Robots or microcontrollers, pointers please!!!

Hi,

I am looking for a robot or perhaps a microcontroller that is programmable in C. I am a beginner at this but ultimately would like to build a working robot and practice my C programming skills in the process. I would appreciate any suggestions on beginner kits, perhaps even intermediate. I don't mind soldering and I am quite comfortable with tools. Really I am just looking for a good place to start, the only requirement, be it a microcontroller or a robotics kit, that I am really looking to satisfy is that it use C as its  programming language.

Thanks.