Re: [Fedora Robotics] NI's proprietary WeDo software...now available for OLPC

Jeff Spaleta schrieb:
> Okay this makes me really sort of mad at a deep level.
>
> http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-07-2008/0004863781&EDATE=
>
> Labview based Lego Mindstorms for the OLPC... that really burns me.  I
> wish we had something that could compete with the proprietary software
> they are giving away. But everytime I talk to anyone locally about an
> open framework, they just say its easier to use the gratis Labview tools
> and aren't at all interested in the idea.

Agreed. I think the basic problem is that usually the ones working on
open source robotics software want to accomplish a specific task with
their robot, they do not do it to write an educational application. You
have to put a whole lot of work into graphical programming tools before
they are usable...

But maybe starting such an application could be a Google SoC project
next year?

	Tim

--
    Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>      www.niemueller.de