default location for R_LIBS_USER

Hi,
	recently I have installed rstudio in my machine to see how it works, it insists to install two packages rstudio and another.

I found then later that R created a directory called R in my home directory. I find that behavior annoying to have a program installing a directory right in my home directory.

The solution, is to add a line in .Renviron, in my case:

R_LIBS_USER=~/.local/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.1

Is there any reason to not have this as the default?
I can think of historical reasons, status-quo, R developers insisting in having the directory visible...

What do others think?

Regards,
--
José Abílio