From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr@xxxxxxx>
Sender: r-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:09:24
To: <r-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Fedora-r-devel-list] Building RPMs for Fedora with circular
 "suggest" dependencies

On 06/15/2012 08:27 AM, William Emmanuel S. Yu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to this list and in the process of building some RPMs for R packages. I have been rolling my own packages for a few years now and post them for public use. I am a heavy user of R2spec with spec file tweaks of course. Thanks for the author for making life easier.
>
> Every so often, I encounter the circular dependency issue with "suggest". For example, I am building R-reshape that depends on a bunch of packages including R-iterator and R-foreach. Unfortunately, R-iterator and R-foreach both suggest each other.
>
> I used to be able to force ignoring suggests but this causes problems with check and test and skipping check and test isn't exactly what I want to do either.
>
> I would like to know what the "proper" way of building RPMs for the both of these R packages.

Hah.

 From the perspective of a scientist or engineer, the 'proper' solution
would be to have a dependency _TREE_ instead of a dependency
plate-of-pasta.

In short, your problem looks insane because the underlying reality is
insane.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.devel/21496

includes my statement of the problem, ca. 2009.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.devel/21597

for a stab at a solution.  It's not elegant, but I think it'd work.

I've frankly been out of the loop on where Pierre-Yves is going on this
issue for some time.   I'm sure he's got some comments.

- Allen S. Rout