Re: [Fedora-r-devel-list] Building RPMs from CRAN...

Pierre-Yves <pingou-E11Oz7VxvVOXCRStZZN3OA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> IMHO R2spec is here to help packagers to create/generate spec file
> as close as possible to the Fedora standards.

> Fedora's RPM will never be generated fully automatically and be
> maintained without human intervention that's against its philosophy.

I clearly need to do some reading, and possibly some advocacy closer
to the center of Fedora Packaging land.

> [ external repositories exist but ]The problem is that most of the
> time they do not respect the standards asked by Fedora.

> One example which appears in your application is the %file section
> of your spec. In order to be able/allow the user to do an rpm -ivh
> R-*.rpm --excludedocs we marked a number of files as being
> documentation. Using your spec it is not possible.  This is fine,
> for an external repository but not for inclusion in the Fedora
> repository.

I am completely content with the idea of adding a bunch of additional
steps to the specfile creation.  If we end up with something like:

make spec pass 1.
build package
install package
calculate what %files should be
make spec pass 2.
build package
install package
[ recursively install all CHECK dependencies ]
check package
sign package

that's fine by me. It's only CPU and time we waste.  If we save
thought and troubles for lots of folks downstream, that's a huge win.

> What I think we could do, is actually set up a repository of RPM for
> CRAN, for Bioconductor external to the official Fedora repositories
> where your tool would be used and very much appreciated.
>
> I am part of the project on bioinformatics.org ([3]), and if you are
> willing to give it a shot I believe we could sort something out. On my
> side time available is really small but I believe we could find some
> more people willing to help for such project.

I'm happy to help get something off the ground.  I'm also happy to try
to move what we've already got towards obeying the

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ReviewGuidelines

but I think that, once we've done this, we should be agitating for
Fedora to come up with a sane way to accept such ancillary repos.

----

My next task is to read some of the references you pointed out, and
I'll see if I can fix the %files section to note documents correctly.

> [1] http://informatics.umdnj.edu/BioRPMs/
> [2] http://biolinux.org (down atm)
> [3] http://www.bioinformatics.org/r-repo/wiki/

- Allen S. Rout