Re: [Fedora-r-devel-list] R-java and R-java-devel

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 19:03 +0200, Martyn Plummer wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 09:31 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> > > I see that you put this in. But it breaks the testing suite in the
> > > current development version. Can we go back over this decision to see
> > > what the original problem was?
> >
> > Pierre is maintaining an R module (rJava, I think if memory serves),
> > where it refuses to build/function unless R_HOME is set properly. He
> > should be able to provide more specifics.
>
> Both the CRAN version of the rJava package, and the latest snapshot from
> rforge build correctly without having R_HOME set.  This must be
> something that happens inside R2spec. I've found Pierre's blog post
> where he talks about the problem and will take a look.

The problem does not come from the build itself.
I managed to build rJava correctly with the change made by spot, the
problem of R_HOME comes when you try to run a R session within Java.
I first met the error I reported in my blog is fixed by moving the file
libjri.so to /usr/lib(64)/, so the RPM now handle it by himself.
But after this problem Java is asking for the R_HOME to be set in the
environment variable (I found the piece of the code that handles this
part, but I don't have it here with me).

Discussing with spot we thought that R_HOME should be set and that it
should be set within the main R package.

I hope that help to understand the problem,

Best regards,

Pierre