Re: [Fedora-r-devel-list] Bioconductor in Fedora

Alex Lancaster wrote:
This is just a heads-up about packaging of Bioconductor.

This last email was some time ago and the situation evolved a bit.

We have now more R libraries in Fedora and 15 libraries from Bioconductor. I have been talking about Bioconductor with Alex and we end with the idea that having at least the most important libraries of bioconductor available on Fedora would probably be a nice feature for bioinformaticians.

I have made a draft version of this feature :
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Bioconductor

But I think some point should be discussed about bioconductor :
* What should we do about the metadata and the experiment data packages that are required (well in fact suggested most of the time)? Those libraries contain only data. For the couple of package of this type that we have already in Fedora the solution until now has been to ask real-eng to inherit the tag between the version (from F-7 to devel). This process would solved quite some place on the server but have the problem that we have to annoy the real-eng for each package/update.

* Would it be possible to have a group package such as users just have to type /yum install bioconductor/ to get the basis package of bioconductor ?

* Is there a way to categorize the packages such as the user can easily found what packages from Bioconductor are available on the repo ?

* The list of packages to do in order to have the main packages of Bioconductor is (I expect, I have not checked yet) around 60 to 70. I can maintain some but I don't want to do all myself, especially since my situation might change quite a bit in January. Creating the specfile is not hard, here is a small python script that helps to generate the specfile [1] Maintaining those packages is not really difficult, there is 1 release every 6 month (for each major release of R). I developed a small python script [2] that handle most of the work, I still have some ideas to improve it (I want to really personalize it for Bioconductor packages).

So to conclude
* I think having Bioconductor in Fedora is a nice Feature
* I cannot make it on my own, but I have no problem to coordinate things in order that we build a group that could handle both the packaging and the maintaining of the packages.

Thanks to have read my bad English all the way to here :)
Let me know what you think of this,

Best regards,

Pierre

P.S. If you think that the project is nice, maybe we could look for more people through the devel mailing list ?

[1] http://pingoured.fr/public/R2spec_1.3.py
[2] http://pingoured.fr/public/updateCVS_0.2.py