Re: Getting better crash reports

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 17:18 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> For the latest release Ubuntu is shipping a little custom tool to fetch
> debug symbols so to provide more complete reports for our developer
> overlords.
>
> Maybe we should look at borrowing this?
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport

Funny you should mention that! I actually spent a week trying to port it
to Fedora, and had a long chat with the lead Apport developer about it.

The Apport code is all python, and quite well-written too - it's got
unit tests and everything. They're quite supportive of us trying to get
it to work in Fedora.

Unfortunately it depends on some Ubuntu-specific kernel patches to work
right. They haven't been able to get those patches into the upstream
kernel yet.

The first hurdle to clear is getting info about the crashing process.
Ubuntu has a kernel patch that puts stuff like CORE_PID into the
environment - we'd need a tool that pulls this info from the core file
itself instead. (That's why upstream rejected this patch.)

If you've got a core file, all the info we need (like PID and such) is
somewhere in the ELF .notes section of the core. The problem is that I
haven't yet found definitions of those structs. It's in the kernel
somewhere, but I haven't gotten around to figuring it out.

Probably someone could write a simple tool based on elfutils-libs that
would accomplish the same thing.

Anyway, if anyone's interested in checking it out, you can get a copy of
my apport SRPM here:

http://homepage.mac.com/wgwoods/fedora/apport/apport-0.75-0.rc2.fc7.src.rpm

I *really* want to get this working for F8.

-w