Re: dealing with (lib)sodium migration EPEL/Fedora

Howdy guys

Le 17/09/2017 à 20:15, François Kooman a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Currently php-libsodium 1.x (no longer maintained upstream) is packaged
> for EPEL and all releases of Fedora. This version makes the libsodium
> calls available with the \Sodium namespace. This will be changed when
> PHP 7.2 is released and the calls will use sodium_ instead of the
> namespace.
>
> A php-libsodium 2.x library is available (maintained), only available
> for PHP >= 7.0 that also uses the sodium_ convention.

This extension is only for PHP 7.0 / 7.1.

> Ideally we'd have a polyfill that takes care of these cases. There is
> one, but not sufficient for the EPEL/Fedora case [1]. It rewrites the
> \Sodium calls to the PHP 7.2 calls, which only works with
> php-libsodium-2.x which is not packaged.
>
> I'm thinking of writing my own polyfill that will expose \Sodium and try
> to fallback to sodium_ if available or just "forward" to \Sodium calls
> if not.
>
> What do you guys think? Is there any path to update to php-libsodium 2.x
> in Fedora or is the plan to wait it out for PHP 7.2? I assume PHP 7.2
> will be part of RHEL 8, so that would take care of that problem as well ;)

The package is already ready in my repository
https://git.remirepo.net/cgit/rpms/php/pecl/php-pecl-libsodium2.git/tree/

If you think it can help, I can submit it for Fedora (25-27),
BTW, I will have to retire it in F28 with PHP 7.2 (which have the
php-sodium package, bug from main php-src)

Reminder, PHP 7.2 packages are already available (so testable) in my
repository [1]

Remi

[1]
https://blog.remirepo.net/post/2017/08/31/PHP-on-the-road-to-the-7.2.0-release