5.2.9, ZTS etc

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 08:39:05AM +0100, Remi Collet wrote:
> you probably noticed I've push 5.2.9 to rawhide.

Thanks, Remi!

> I'm quite happy to see Joe have start working on ZTS version (Even if
> reading about this, it seems a hard work, debian guys have given up, but
> it's really the Fedora main goal to be "bleeding edge", I think)
>
> Using a specific ini dir for zts extensions is mandatory.

Thanks for bringing this up.  I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to
support a ZTS httpd SAPI build, but I thought it's worth experimenting.

My initial thought was that given upstream's antipathy towards ZTS, we
should not attempt to support loadable extensions at all, since we don't
expect that upstream (PHP, or third-party) will support random
extensions in ZTS builds.

(as-is, the zts build should be using only ini files from /etc/php-zts.d
but I haven't played with it at all since getting a build done)

> Do we should also use a specific ini dir for cli ?
>
> I think some extensions are really not needed in web mode (mainly
> ncurses). And this will solve the issue with php-gtk which can only be
> load in cli mode (the workaround is to not provide any .ini and to
> enable the extension in a launcher)
>
> Of course most extensions should then come with 2 .ini (or a link in
> both dir).

Yeah, a separate php.d for the cli has been suggested before, I think.

I think the ideal would be to have all SAPI builds pick up everything
from /etc/php.d, and then have /etc/php-cli.d for additional extensions
which will be also picked up by the CLI SAPI.  That doesn't look
possible without code changes, though.

Otherwise, using /etc/php-cli.d/ with copies or symlinks of all the .ini
files sounds feasiable but a bit of a pain.  Actually it looks like the
inidir code in PHP would ignore symlinks, though I haven't tested that.

Regards, Joe