Fedora Weekly News 250

* 1 Fedora Weekly News Issue 250
o 1.1 Announcements
+ 1.1.1 Fedora Announcement News
# 1.1.1.1 Announcing the release of Fedora 14
# 1.1.1.2 What's New in Fedora 14?
* 1.1.1.2.1 For desktop users
* 1.1.1.2.2 For developers
* 1.1.1.2.3 For system administrators
* 1.1.1.2.4 Fedora Spins
* 1.1.1.2.5 Contributing Back to Fedora
* 1.1.1.2.6 Fedora 15
* 1.1.1.2.7 Contact information
# 1.1.1.3 ATrpms for Fedora 14; upcoming EOL for Fedora 12
# 1.1.1.4 Cooperative Bug Isolation for Fedora 14
# 1.1.1.5 Fedora 15 Release Name
+ 1.1.2 Fedora Events
# 1.1.2.1 Upcoming Events (Sept 2010 - November 2010)
# 1.1.2.2 Past Events
# 1.1.2.3 Additional information
o 1.2 Fedora In the News
+ 1.2.1 Cloud and Virtualization Features Set Fedora 14 Apart - (PC World)
+ 1.2.2 Fedora 14: haven for Ubuntu's homeless GNOMEs - (Channel
Register - UK)
+ 1.2.3 Unter der Haube tut sich was...Die wichtigsten Neuerungen von
Fedora 14 (Linux Community Germany)
+ 1.2.4 Four Favourite Fedora 14 Free Features (ComputerWeekly.com)
+ 1.2.5 Fedora 14 (Laughlin) Released (ZDNet UK)
+ 1.2.6 Fedora 14 released with new features for developers (Ars Technica)
+ 1.2.7 Fedora 14 freigegeben (Pro-Linux.de)
+ 1.2.8 Fedora 14 Linux Heads to the Cloud (ServerWatch.com)
+ 1.2.9 Fedora gets nips and tucks with 14 release (The Register)
+ 1.2.10 Open source software receives a boost with new Fedora release
(LocalTechWire)
+ 1.2.11 Fedora 14 vs. Ubuntu Maverick: Distinct Differences (Datamation)
+ 1.2.12 Fedora 14 is leading-edge Linux (ITWorld)
o 1.3 Ambassadors
+ 1.3.1 Welcome New Ambassadors
+ 1.3.2 Summary of traffic on Ambassadors mailing list
+ 1.3.3 Summary of traffic on FAmSCo mailing list
o 1.4 QualityAssurance
+ 1.4.1 Test Days
+ 1.4.2 Installing Rawhide
+ 1.4.3 Testing updates just prior to release
+ 1.4.4 Fedora 12 critical path testing
o 1.5 Design
+ 1.5.1 Fedora 15 Ahead
+ 1.5.2 One Page Release Notes
o 1.6 Security Advisories
+ 1.6.1 Fedora 14 Security Advisories
+ 1.6.2 Fedora 13 Security Advisories
+ 1.6.3 Fedora 12 Security Advisories

- Fedora Weekly News Issue 250 -

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 250[1] for the week ending November
3, 2010. What follows are some highlights from this issue.

For our 250th issue, we're very pleased to provide in-depth coverage of
the release of Fedora 14! Starting with announcements, Fedora 14's
official release from Fedora Project Leader Jared K. Smith and AT RPMs
support for Fedora 14, along with the announcement of Fedora 15's
release name. Fedora In the News brings you a dozen recent articles and
posts in the trade press and blogosphere on Fedora 14, including two in
German! In news from the Ambassadors team, we welcome a new Ambassador
from Honduras, and the very useful summary of discussion on the Fedora
Ambassador and FAmSCO mailing lists. We have a short update from the
Quality Assurance team who've completed their work on Fedora 14, also
details on the current best way of installing Rawhide and critical path
testing for Fedora 12 updates before F12 EOL. In Design team news,
looking forward to Fedora 15 and continuing work on the F14 one page
release notes. Our 250th issue reaches conclusion with security-related
packages released over the past week for Fedora 12, 13 and 14. Thanks to
our wonderful FWN team for their dedication in spreading the news about
Fedora, week after week, and to you, our readers!

An audio version of some issues of FWN - FAWN - are available! You can
listen to existing issues[2] on the Internet Archive. If anyone is
interested in helping spread the load of FAWN production, please contact us!

If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see
our 'join' page[3]. We welcome reader feedback: news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FWN Editorial Team: Pascal Calarco, Adam Williamson

1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue250
2. http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22FWN%22
3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join

-- Announcements --

In this section, we cover announcements from the Fedora Project,
including general announcements[1], development announcements[2] and
Events[3].

Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco

1. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/
2. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/
3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events

--- Fedora Announcement News ---

The announcement list is always exclusive for the Fedora Community.
Please, visit the past announcements at[1]

1. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2010-August/thread.html

--- Announcing the release of Fedora 14 ---

Fedora Project leader [User:jared|Jared K. Smith] announced[1] the
release of Fedora 14:

"It's here! It's here! It's really here! Fedora 14 has been officially
released! Fedora is a leading edge, free and open source operating
system that continues to deliver innovative features to many users, with
a new release approximately every six months.

Fedora 14, codename Laughlin, is now available for download. Join us and
share the joy of free software and the community with friends and family.

We know you can't wait to get started with Fedora 14, so simply follow
this link to download it today:

http://get.fedoraproject.org?anF14

If you want a quick tour of highlights in this release, check out:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Talking_Points?anF14

For more information including common and known bugs, and tips on how to
report bugs, please refer to the release notes[2]

You can also find this announcement text[3]

--- What's New in Fedora 14? ---

---- For desktop users ----

A universe of new features for end users:

* libjpeg-turbo: Users can load and save images faster in Fedora 14 than
in previous releases.
* Spice: Spice (Simple Protocol for Independent Computing Environments)
provides users with an enhanced remote desktop experience. Currently, it
provides the rudimentary foundation to take advantage of things like
Accelerated 2D graphics, encryption, and hardware cursor support.

---- For developers ----

For developers there are all sorts of additional goodies:

* D: Fedora 14 introduces support for D, a systems programming language
combining the power and high performance of C and C++ with the
programmer productivity of modern languages such as Ruby and Python.
* Python 2 upgrade: The system python 2 stack has been upgraded to 2.7.
* GNUStep: A GUI framework based of the Objective-C programming language
which is part of the gcc.
* Memory Debugging Tools: The new "gdb-heap" package adds a new "heap"
command to /usr/bin/gdb which allows you to get a breakdown of how a
process is using dynamic memory.
* Rakudo Star: An implementation of Perl version 6, based on the Parrot VM.
* Support for Milkymist: Developers can enjoy developing for Milkymist,
an open hardware embedded board, on Fedora 14. Thanks to the Fedora
Electronic Lab for their work in this regard.

---- For system administrators ----

And don't think we forgot about the system administrators:

* Fedora is now available for users of the Amazon Elastic Computing
Cloud service, released concurrently with the traditional release.
* virt-v2v assists in the easy migration of Xen virtual machines to KVM
virtual machines.
* A Virtualization Technology Preview Repo allows users to test the very
latest developments in virtualization related packages.
* Varnish has been updated and includes improved scalability and a new
log function.
* Apache has been updated and includes a number of module and security
fixes.

And that's only the beginning. Updated versions of many packages, as
usual, will be available in Fedora 14. A more complete list with more
details of the new features on board Fedora 14 is available at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/14/FeatureList?anF14

OK, so what are you waiting for? Go download it! You know you can't wait.

http://get.fedoraproject.org/?anF14

If you are upgrading from a previous release of Fedora, refer to

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading?anF14

In particular, Fedora has made preupgrade a more robust solution and
pushed several bug fixes to older releases of Fedora to enable an easy
upgrade to Fedora 14.

Fedora 14 full release notes and guides for several languages are
available[4]

Fedora 14 common bugs are documented[5]

---- Fedora Spins ----

Fedora spins are alternate version of Fedora, tailored for various types
of users via hand-picked application set or customizations. They can be
found at http://spins.fedoraproject.org/?anF14

---- Contributing Back to Fedora ----

There are many ways to contribute beyond bug reporting. You can help
translate software and content, test and give feedback on software
updates, write and edit documentation, design and do artwork, help with
all sorts of promotional activities, and package free software for use
by millions of Fedora users worldwide. To get started, visit
http://join.fedoraproject.org/?anF14 today!

---- Fedora 15 ----

Even as we continue to provide updates with enhancements and bug fixes
to improve the Fedora 14 experience, our next release, Fedora 15, is
already being developed in parallel, and has been open for active
development for several months already. We have an early schedule for an
end of April 2011 release[6]

---- Contact information ----

If you are a journalist or reporter, you can find additional information[7]

Jared Smith

Fedora Project Leader"

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2010-November/002875.html
2. http://docs.fedoraproject.org/?anF14
3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_announcement?anF14
4. http://docs.fedoraproject.org/?anF14
5. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F14_bugs?anF14
6. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/15/Schedule?anF14
7. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Press?anF14

--- ATrpms for Fedora 14; upcoming EOL for Fedora 12 ---

Axel Thimm announced[1]:

"ATrpms is officially launching Fedora 14 support[2]

* The actual download location is http://dl.atrpms.net/. Mirrors are
listed[3]

* "stable", "testing" and "bleeding", the three subrepos per
distribution are not cumulative inclusive on the server side. E.g. you
need to add "stable" for "testing", and both "stable" and "testing" for
"bleeding".

ATrpms is a 3rd party general purpose package repository. It currently
supports

* F14/i386, F14/x86_64, F13/i386, F13/x86_64, F12/i386, F12/x86_64
* RHEL6beta/i386, RHEL6beta/x86_64, RHEL5/i386, RHEL5/x86_64,
RHEL4/i386, RHEL4/x86_64, RHEL3/i386, RHEL3/x86_64

F12 support will be EOL'd once the Fedora Project drops support for it
(e.g. in about a month's time).

Installation instructions can be found under[4]

As a quickstart here are common configuration settings for various
package resolvers (replace i386 with x86_64 as needed). Installing via
the atrpms-repo package method is recommended, though.

* yum

[atrpms] name=Fedora 14 - i386 - ATrpms
baseurl=http://dl.atrpms.net/f14-i386/atrpms/stable

* smart

[atrpms] name=Fedora 14 - i386 - ATrpms
baseurl=http://dl.atrpms.net/f14-i386/atrpms/stable type=rpm-md

* apt

repomd http://dl.atrpms.net f14-i386/atrpms/stable

you can provide feedback or request support on the ATrpms lists[5], or
the common bug tracker[6].

Enjoy! Axel Thimm"

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2010-November/002876.html
2. http://ATrpms.net/dist/f14/
3. http://ATrpms.net/documentation/mirrors/
4. http://ATrpms.net/documentation/install/
5. http://lists.atrpms.net/
6. http://bugzilla.atrpms.net/

--- Cooperative Bug Isolation for Fedora 14 ---

Ben Liblit announced[1]:

"The Cooperative Bug Isolation Project (CBI) is now available for Fedora
14. CBI[2] is an ongoing research effort to find and fix bugs in the
real world. We distribute specially modified versions of popular open
source software packages. These special versions monitor their own
behavior while they run, and report back how they work (or how they fail
to work) in the hands of real users like you. Even if you've never
written a line of code in your life, you can help make things better for
everyone simply by using our special bug-hunting packages.

We currently offer instrumented versions of Evolution, The GIMP, GNOME
Panel, Gnumeric, Liferea, Nautilus, Pidgin, Rhythmbox, and SPIM.
Download[3]. We support PackageKit, yum, apt, and many other RPM updater
tools[4] for customized configuration help for any of our supported
distributions and updater tools. Or just download and install[5] to
automatically configure most popular RPM updaters to use the CBI repository.

It's that easy! Tell your friends! Tell your neighbors! The more of you
there are, the more bugs we can find.

We still offer CBI packages for earlier releases as well, going all the
way back to Fedora 1. When and if you decide to upgrade to Fedora 14,
we'll be ready for you. Until then, your participation remains valuable
even on older distributions.

-- Dr. Ben, the CBI guy"

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2010-November/002877.html
2. http://www.cs.wisc.edu/cbi/
3. http://www.cs.wisc.edu/cbi/downloads/
4. http://www.cs.wisc.edu/cbi/downloads/repo-config.html
5.
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/cbi/downloads/rpm/fedora-14-i386/RPMS.tools/cbi-package-config-14-10.i686.rpm

--- Fedora 15 Release Name ---

Fedora Project Leader [User:jsmith|Jared K. Smith] announced:

"The voting has concluded for the Fedora 15 release name, and the
results are in! Thank you to the Fedora community members who made name
suggestions and participated in the voting.

The Fedora 15 release name is: Lovelock

Voting period: Tuesday 2010-10-26 00:00:00 to Monday 2010-11-01 23:59:59

Number of valid ballots cast: 296

Using the range voting method, each candidate could attain a maximum of
(296*5) = 1480 votes.

Results:

Votes :: Name

729 :: Lovelock

701 :: Asturias

673 :: Blarney

633 :: Sturgis

558 :: Pushcart

Jared Smith

Fedora Project Leader"

--- Fedora Events ---

Fedora events are the exclusive and source of marketing, learning and
meeting all the fellow community people around you. So, please mark your
agenda with the following events to consider attending or volunteering
near you!

---- Upcoming Events (Sept 2010 - November 2010) ----

* North America (NA)[1]
* Central & South America (LATAM) [2]
* Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)[3]
* India, Asia, Australia (India/APJ)[4]

1.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY11_Q3_.28Sept_2010_-_November_2010.29
2.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY11_Q3_.28September_2010_-_November_2010.29
3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY11_Q3_.28Sep._2010_-_Nov._2010.29
4.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY11_Q3_.28Sept_2010_-_November_2010.29_2

---- Past Events ----

Archive of Past Fedora Events[1]

1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/PastEvents

---- Additional information ----

* Reimbursements -- reimbursement guidelines.
* Budget -- budget for the current quarter (as distributed by FAMSCo).
* Sponsorship -- how decisions are made to subsidize travel by community
members.
* Organization -- event organization, budget information, and regional
responsibility.
* Event reports -- guidelines and suggestions.
* LinuxEvents -- a collection of calendars of Linux events.

-- Fedora In the News --

In this section, we cover news from the trade press and elsewhere that
is re-posted to the Fedora Marketing list[1]

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco

1. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/

--- Cloud and Virtualization Features Set Fedora 14 Apart - (PC World) ---

Kara Schiltz forwarded[1] a brief article on new cloud computing and
virtualization features in Fedora 14:

"Fedora 14, or "Laughlin," made its official debut on Tuesday, and it's
packed with a raft of new features designed to enhance the experience
for users of the open source desktop operating system.

Usability has been a key focus in the past few releases of Red
Hat-sponsored Fedora, which is the second most popular Linux
distribution[2], behind only Ubuntu[3], according to DistroWatch.
Significant improvements in networking, software management, hardware
support, and other functionality have resulted, so much of the work on
this latest release has concentrated instead on providing bug fixes and
increased stability."

The full article is available[4]

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013543.html
2.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/204767/a_guide_to_todays_top_10_linux_distributions.html
3.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/208818/is_unity_the_right_interface_for_desktop_ubuntu.html
4.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/209673/cloud_and_virtualization_features_set_fedora_14_apart.html

--- Fedora 14: haven for Ubuntu's homeless GNOMEs - (Channel Register -
UK) ---

Kara Schiltz forwarded[1] another review of Fedora 14:

"Fedora 14, released Tuesday, has quite a bit of new stuff under the
hood - things you probably won't notice most unless you're a systems
admin or use Fedora for development.

For Fedora this is business as usual and, many would argue, the way it
should be. After all, the latest UI bling is useless if the underlying
system isn't delivering the tools you need on a rock solid foundation.

It also makes a nice contrast to Canonical's Ubuntu, which has a habit
of taking Fedora's upstream contributions, wrapping them in a prettier
package and stealing the limelight. There's nothing wrong with that,
it's the nature of open source software - you can do what you want with
it. It's just that Fedora rarely ends up getting the credit it deserves
for making desktop Linux as usable as it has become over the years."

The full article is available[2]

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013542.html
2. http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/11/03/fedora_14_review/

--- Unter der Haube tut sich was...Die wichtigsten Neuerungen von Fedora
14 (Linux Community Germany) ---

German readers will enjoy an article Michael Kappes forwarded[1] an
article in Linux-Community.de on Fedora 14:

"Fedora 14 alias "Laughlin" steht zum Download bereit. Die immer wieder
als Vorreiter bezeichnete Distribution. hat sich auch diesmal wieder
viel Mühe gegeben ihrem Ruf gerecht zu werden. Doch die Neuerungen
brauchen auch etwas mehr Speicherplatz. Die aktuelle Distribution hat
eine Größe von gut 5 GByte."

The full article is available[2].

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013538.html
2.
http://www.linux-community.de/Internal/Artikel/Online-Artikel/Die-wichtigsten-Neuerungen-von-Fedora-14

--- Four Favourite Fedora 14 Free Features (ComputerWeekly.com) ---

Kara Schiltz forwarded[1] a perspective on four fave features of F14:

"So here are four favourite features in free Fedora 14:

* Framework software for Spice, a rapidly advancing infrastructure for
desktop virtualisation

* New debugging features for developers, such as support for
dynamic/unplanned memory usage tracking and faster launch thanks to
pre-generated indexes

* Updated tech preview of the GNOME shell environment, part of the
upcoming GNOME 3.0 release

* A subset of new and innovative software from the MeeGo community for
an enhanced experience on netbooks and small devices"

The full article is available[2].

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013537.html
2.
http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/open-source-insider/2010/11/four-favourite-fedora-14-free-features.html

--- Fedora 14 (Laughlin) Released (ZDNet UK) ---

Kara Schiltz forwarded[1] another review of Fedora 14:

"Yesterday afternoon, right on schedule, the Fedora Project[2] released
Fedora 14, aka "Laughlin". The Release Announcement[3] gives a quick
"What's New" look at the release (which saves me having to repeat it
here), and the Release Notes[4] provide extensive details on this release.

 From what I can tell so far it is, as expected and as usual, a very
good distribution. I have downloaded the 32- and 64-bit versions, and
installed it without problem so far on systems with Intel, AMD/ATI and
VIA cpus and graphic controllers, and Intel, Broadcom and Atheros wired
and wireless network interfaces. The only special requirement I have run
into so far is that the Broadcom WiFi adapter has to be downloaded from
the Fedora Unity[5] web site. This is a very simple procedure, which I
described previously in a post about Fedora 14 Beta[6]."

The full post is available[7].

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013536.html
2. http://fedoraproject.org/
3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_announcement
4.
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Release_Notes/index.html
5. http://fedoraunity.org/
6.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/jamies-mostly-linux-stuff-10006480/fedora-14-beta-shaping-up-very-nicely-10020572/
7.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/jamies-mostly-linux-stuff-10006480/fedora-14-laughlin-released-10020937/

--- Fedora 14 released with new features for developers (Ars Technica) ---

Kara Schiltz forwarded[1] a feature on Fedora 14 for developers:

"The Fedora development community announced on Tuesday the official
release of Fedora 14, codenamed Laughlin. The new version is a bit light
on user-facing changes, but adds some useful features for developers.
Fedora typically issues a new release every six months and is loosely
aligned with the GNOME development cycle. Each release brings updated
software and some new packages."

The full post is available[2].

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013535.html
2.
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/11/fedora-14-released-with-new-features-for-developers.ars

--- Fedora 14 freigegeben (Pro-Linux.de) ---

[User:wonderer|Henrik Heigl] forwarded[1] another review of Fedora 14 in
German:

"Zu den Neuerungen in Fedora 14, Codename »Laughlin«, gehören
Desktop-Virtualisierung mit Spice, die schnellere JPEG-Bibliothek
libjpeg-turbo, bessere Unterstützung für das Statistikpaket R, die
Datenerfassungsplattform ROOT, vollständige Server-Verwaltung über IPMI
mit ipmiutil und Unterstützung für das Security Content Automation
Protocol (SCAP)."

The full post is available[2].

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013534.html
2. http://www.pro-linux.de/news/1/16341/fedora-14-freigegeben.html

--- Fedora 14 Linux Heads to the Cloud (ServerWatch.com) ---

Kara Schiltz forwarded[1] an article highlighting Fedora 14's cloud
features:

"The Red Hat sponsored Fedora Linux distribution is out today with its
second release of 2010. Fedora 14, codenamed "Laughlin," introduces new
security, virtualization[2] and developer features as well as the first
Fedora release for the Amazon EC2 cloud in years.

Fedora release comes as Red Hat is gearing up for the release of Red Hat
Enterprise[3] Linux 6 and the company continues to push forward on cloud
foundation technologies[4]."

The full post is available[5].

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013528.html
2.
http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3911076/Fedora-14-Linux-Heads-to-the-Cloud.htm#
3.
http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3911076/Fedora-14-Linux-Heads-to-the-Cloud.htm#
4.
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3900491/Red-Hat-Lays-Out-Cloud-Foundations.htm
5.
http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3911076/Fedora-14-Linux-Heads-to-the-Cloud.htm

--- Fedora gets nips and tucks with 14 release (The Register) ---

Kara Schiltz forwarded[1] a review of Fedora 14 from the UK's The Register:

"The Fedora Project, the open source community that creates the Linux
variant that eventually becomes Red Hat's commercial-grade Enterprise
Linux distro, has kicked out the "Laughlin" Fedora 14 release. Jared
Smith, who took over as Fedora Project Leader in June[2], has one notch
on his belt now.

You can see the release notes for Fedora 14 here[3] and you can check
out /El Reg/'s review of the beta of the Laughlin release back in
September here[4]. You can get the Fedora 14 code and look at the new
community site at fedoraproject.org[5].

Fedora 14 is based on the Linux 2.6.35 kernel. Perhaps the most
important change with Fedora 14 is that it is now concurrently available
out on Amazon's EC2 compute cloud on launch day."

The full post is available[6].

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013527.html
2. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/29/new_fedora_project_leader/
3. http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Release_Notes/
4. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/29/fedora_14_beta_review/
5. http://fedoraproject.org/
6. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/02/redhat_fedora_14_rhel_6/

--- Open source software receives a boost with new Fedora release
(LocalTechWire) ---

Kara Schiltz forwarded[1] a brief post from LocalTechWire on Fedora 14:

"Fedora 14[2], the latest version of the free open source operating
system from the Fedora project, is now available for download.

Raleigh-based Red Hat (NYSE: RHT[3]), the world’s top Linux open source
developer and services provider, sponsors the Fedora project.

Code named “Laughlin,” Fedora 14 runs on Linux and is a free, community
supported project that can replace or run along side proprietary
operating systems such as Microsoft Windows and Mac OS."

The full post is available[4].

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013526.html
2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_announcement
3. http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/wral?Page=QUOTE&Ticker=RHT
4. http://localtechwire.com/business/local_tech_wire/news/blogpost/8551683/

--- Fedora 14 vs. Ubuntu Maverick: Distinct Differences (Datamation) ---

Kara Schiltz forwarded[1] a comparative review of Fedora 14 and Ubuntu:

"Both Fedora and Ubuntu continue to be centered on GNOME. At the same
time, both offer alternative interfaces. But with Ubuntu's focus on
improving usability in the GNOME interface and, in the next release,
defaulting to its new GNOME-based Unity desktop, alternatives like the
KDE-based Kubuntu or Xfce-based Xubuntu seem to be receiving less
attention. Lesser-known graphical interfaces like LXDE and Sugar are
available in Ubuntu, but receive little promotion[2] in the release notes.

The same is true to an extent in Fedora. However, in the last few years,
Fedora has been giving KDE and Xfce more attention, acknowledging them
more strongly as alternatives. Fedora 14 continues this tradition by
promoting the MeeGo mobile interface in its release notes.

Suggesting that Ubuntu neglects alternatives would be going too far.
Still, it does seem accurate to say that the latest Ubuntu release
focuses on its version of GNOME, and treats other desktops[3] as
secondary, particularly if they are not developed in a separate sub-project.

[clip]

By contrast, Fedora seems to retain more of the spirit of a traditional
distribution, shipping a distribution that does not venture far
technically from what upstream projects like GNOME offer. Nor does
Fedora show many signs[4] of preferring one interface over another,
aside from the fact that it defaults to GNOME.

[clip]

The message in the release notes is that Fedora is for all sorts of
users, whereas Ubuntu seems focused on as straightforward an experience
for new users as possible. Nothing could more indicative of the
differences in the two distro's current concerns.

Which of these two approaches to distribution-building is preferable
remains a matter of choice. Ubuntu's popularity and the speed of its
changes suggest that there is something to be said for its commercial,
centralized approach. Yet, at the same time, Fedora's more generalist
approach seems more tolerant of the differences in how users work.

In the end, neither Ubuntu 10.10 or Fedora 14 are major releases.
However, if you look closely, you can see the seeds of differences that
might grow larger over the next few years."

The full post is available[5].

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013525.html
2.
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3911026_2/Fedora-14-vs-Ubuntu-Maverick-Distinct-Differences.htm#
3.
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3911026_3/Fedora-14-vs-Ubuntu-Maverick-Distinct-Differences.htm#
4.
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3911026_3/Fedora-14-vs-Ubuntu-Maverick-Distinct-Differences.htm#
5.
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3911026/Fedora-14-vs-Ubuntu-Maverick-Distinct-Differences.htm

--- Fedora 14 is leading-edge Linux (ITWorld) ---

Kara Schiltz forwarded[1] a review of Fedora 14 from ITWorld:

"I like Fedora, Red Hat's community Linux distribution, a lot. But, let
me warn you right now, that it's not a Linux for beginners. That's not
to say that the newest version of Fedora, Fedora 14 Laughlin[2], is hard
to use. It's not. But, if you need a lot of handholding as you explore
Linux, I think you'll be better off with Ubuntu.

[clip]

On the other hand, there are some really neat, new features in Fedora
that do work well. I have to say though that they're going to be more
exiting for system administrators and developers than they are someone
just running Fedora at home.

Easily the most important of these is the arrival of of Simple Protocol
for Independent Computing Environment (SPICE[3]). This is a desktop
presentation service protocol, like Microsoft's RDP (Remote Desktop
Protocol) and Citrix's ICA (Independent Computing Architecture), that
you use to run thin-client desktops.

[clip]

Fedora also includes a new interface: MeeGo[4]. This is the interface
for the MeeGo operating system, which is meant for netbooks, Mobile
Internet Devices (MID) and embedded devices. While not as well known or
as mature as Android[5], MeeGo shows great promise. By making it
available on Fedora, developers can develop applications for MeeGo.

Another interesting feature is you need not run Fedora at own on your
own desktop or server. You can now run Fedora on the Amazon Elastic
Computing Cloud[6] (EC2) service."

The full post is available[7].

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013522.html
2. http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease
3. http://www.spice-space.org/
4. http://www.itworld.com/meego
5. http://www.itworld.com/android
6. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EC2
7.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-November/013522.html

-- Ambassadors --

This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Ambassadors Project[1].

Contributing Writer: Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay

1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors

--- Welcome New Ambassadors ---

This week the Fedora Ambassadors Project had a new member joining.

Fernando A. Navarro from Honduras mentored by Neville Cross

--- Summary of traffic on Ambassadors mailing list ---

Mustafa Qasim posted [1] requesting assistance in a survey on usage of
popular computer software and perception of FOSS and GNU/Linux in the
minds of Home Users, Students and Professionals. Salman Ullah Baig asked
[2] how the survey could be conducted at SSUET, Karachi

Marcus Moeller informed [3] about adding himself to the FAmSCo
nominations page. The thread [4] had a bit of conversation around
Marcus's resignation as an Ambassador along with the Fedora Project
involvement for Paul W Frields and Max Spevack

Robyn Bergeron posted [5] about help needed during Fedora Elections viz.
Coordinators for Questionnaire and Townhalls

Joerg Simon nominated [6] a couple of Fedora Ambassadors for the FAmSCo
elections providing his inputs on their nominations

Ramon Almeida provided a self introduction [7]

Abdel G Martinez L asked [8] about how one can become a Mentor in the
Fedora Ambassadors Project. Joerg Simon explained [9] the current
process which includes new/potential mentors being introduced by
existing mentors to FAmSCo and thereafter FAmSCo considering to approve
them. The subsequent thread [10] had a spirited and engaging discussion
about Ambassadors, Mentor Process, Mentor Selection with some specific
parts for how the process functions in India. María Leandro summed it up
[11] stating that 'humility is the first feature a contributor must have
... the rest will come by itself'

David Ramsey reminded [12] Ambassadors that the APAC Meeting would be
held on 2010-11-07 at 0300 UTC

Zoltan Hoppar announced [13] the nomination to FAmSCo

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015819.html
2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015828.html
3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015821.html
4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/thread.html#15821
5.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015824.html
6.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015830.html
7.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015832.html
8.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015833.html
9.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015836.html
10.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/thread.html#15833
11.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015861.html
12.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015865.html
13.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015912.html

--- Summary of traffic on FAmSCo mailing list ---

Joerg Simon asked [1] if posting a Summary Report for the period of work
was a good idea since there was no reports for September. Max Spevack
agreed [2] with that proposal.

Joerg Simon requested [3] María Leandro to invite the people behind the
locations for FUDCon LATAM to join the upcoming FAmSCo meeting.

María Leandro posted [4] asking bidders to join the FAmSCo meeting

Paul W Frields reminded [5] the Fedora Project Leader to check if he
could be present when the FUDCon LATAM bids are being discussed at
FAmSCo meeting

Joerg Simon reminded [6] about the FAmSCo meeting on 2010-11-01 with the
agenda item of discussing the bids for FUDCon LATAM

David Nalley posted [7] about the FUDCon LATAM 2011 decision rationale
stating that it was for Panama as the location. And, also posted the
meeting minutes [8]

1. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-October/000393.html
2. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-November/000400.html
3. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-October/000395.html
4. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-October/000397.html
5. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-October/000398.html
6. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-November/000399.html
7. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-November/000401.html
8.
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2010-11-01/fedora-meeting-1/2010-11-01-17.59.html

-- QualityAssurance --

In this section, we cover the activities of the QA team[1]. For more
information on the work of the QA team and how you can get involved, see
the Joining page[2].

Contributing Writer: Adam Williamson

1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA
2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Join

--- Test Days ---

The Fedora 14 Test Day cycle has concluded. If you would like to propose
a main track Test Day for the Fedora 15 cycle, please contact the QA
team via email or IRC, or file a ticket in QA Trac[1].

1. http://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/

--- Installing Rawhide ---

Qiang Li asked what was now the recommended method of installing
Rawhide[1], given that a Rawhide installer build is now not always
available. Adam Williamson recommended updating from the latest
pre-release using yum[2], to which Qiang replied that he does not like
doing this due to the time and bandwidth involved[3]. Later in the
discussion, Christoph Frieben recommended using the latest pre-release
installer and specifying Rawhide repositories during the repository
selection step[4]. Rui He[5] and Jesse Keating[6] also suggested this
method.

1. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/094970.html
2. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/094971.html
3. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/094973.html
4. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/094977.html
5. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/094995.html
6. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/094983.html

--- Testing updates just prior to release ---

Kamil Paral asked how one can test the installation of updates shortly
before a release, when none are available in the official update
repositories[1]. James Laska recommended downgrading an installed
package such as gcalctool[2], and noted he has a repository available
for this purpose.

1. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/095001.html
2. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/095003.html

--- Fedora 12 critical path testing ---

Adam Williamson noted a Fedora 12 updates-testing report which listed
many critical path updates which had been awaiting the required
proventester testing for some weeks[1]. He proposed removing the proven
tester requirement for Fedora 12 critical path updates as a practical
measure to allow the updates to go through before EOL. In the mean time,
he reported that he had tested several of the updates in a virtual
machine[2], and Gene did the same[3], allowing several of the updates to
go through.

1. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/095135.html
2. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/095147.html
3. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/095150.html

-- Design --

In this section, we cover the Fedora Design Team[1].

Contributing Writer: Nicu Buculei

1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

--- Fedora 15 Ahead ---

As the release cycle for Fedora 14 ended, is time to start the cycle for
the next one, and Martin Sourada updated[1] the development page for
Fedora 15[2] taking in the consideration the general release schedule[3]
and the experiences learned from past releases "I've put together
initial key milestones for schedule for f15 artwork, based on the
previous schedule and proposed main f15 release schedule dates. Based on
experience I've changed some details compared to last time."

1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-November/003595.html
2. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F15_Artwork/Development
3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/15/Schedule

--- One Page Release Notes ---

Fedora 14 is released but the One Page Release Notes[1] is still
work-in-progress and Paul Frields asked[2] for an updated graphic banner
"I bet that, if someone combined that template with the photo found on
slide 4 of the top banner on http://fedoraproject.org/ and updated the
release number to 14, you'd have a stupendous banner for our one page
release notes page", task which was quickly accomplished[3] by Jef van
Schendel.

1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F14_one_page_release_notes
2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-November/003598.html
3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-November/003599.html

-- Security Advisories --

In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce

Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco

--- Fedora 14 Security Advisories ---

* qt-4.7.0-8.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050250.html
* libguestfs-1.5.23-1 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050237.html
* seamonkey-2.0.10-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050233.html
* perl-libwww-perl-5.837-2.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050232.html
* thunderbird-3.1.6-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050221.html
* sunbird-1.0-0.31.b2pre.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050220.html
* pidgin-2.7.4-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050133.html
* libHX-3.6-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050089.html
* pam_mount-2.5-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050088.html
* galeon-2.0.7-35.fc14.1 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050077.html
* gnome-python2-extras-2.25.3-25.fc14.1 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050079.html
* perl-Gtk2-MozEmbed-0.08-6.fc14.21 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050074.html
* gnome-web-photo-0.9-15.fc14.1 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050080.html
* mozvoikko-1.0-16.fc14.1 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050076.html
* xulrunner-1.9.2.12-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050078.html
* firefox-3.6.12-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050075.html
* subversion-1.6.13-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050025.html
* sepostgresql-9.0.1-20101007.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050007.html
* kernel-2.6.35.6-48.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049999.html
* ocsinventory-agent-1.1.2.1-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049983.html
* nss-util-3.12.8-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049887.html
* nss-softokn-3.12.8-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049888.html
* nss-3.12.8-2.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049886.html

--- Fedora 13 Security Advisories ---

* perl-libwww-perl-5.837-2.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050245.html
* luci-0.22.4-2.0.b9faf868074git.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050244.html
* pidgin-2.7.4-1.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050227.html
* tomcat6-6.0.26-11.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050214.html
* thunderbird-3.1.6-1.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050192.html
* sunbird-1.0-0.30.b2pre.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050191.html
* gnucash-2.3.15-2.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050177.html
* cvs-1.11.23-10.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050090.html
* glibc-2.12.1-4 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050087.html
* galeon-2.0.7-35.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050065.html
* gnome-python2-extras-2.25.3-24.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050066.html
* perl-Gtk2-MozEmbed-0.08-6.fc13.19 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050067.html
* gnome-web-photo-0.9-14.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050063.html
* mozvoikko-1.0-16.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050064.html
* xulrunner-1.9.2.12-1.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050062.html
* firefox-3.6.12-1.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050061.html
* apr-util-1.3.10-1.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049885.html
* subversion-1.6.13-1.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049883.html

--- Fedora 12 Security Advisories ---

* luci-0.22.4-2.0.b9faf868074git.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050246.html
* thunderbird-3.0.10-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050216.html
* sunbird-1.0-0.26.20090916hg.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050217.html
* cvs-1.11.23-9.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050212.html
* tomcat6-6.0.26-3.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050207.html
* freetype-2.3.11-6.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-November/050203.html
* openldap-2.4.19-6.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050185.html
* glibc-2.11.2-3 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050175.html
* gnucash-2.2.9-5.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050164.html
* galeon-2.0.7-27.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050154.html
* gnome-python2-extras-2.25.3-22.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050155.html
* perl-Gtk2-MozEmbed-0.08-6.fc12.17 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050157.html
* gnome-web-photo-0.9-11.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050158.html
* mozvoikko-1.0-14.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050159.html
* xulrunner-1.9.1.15-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050156.html
* firefox-3.5.15-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/050153.html
* apr-util-1.3.10-1.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049939.html
* subversion-1.6.13-1.fc12.1 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049898.html

---
Pascal Calarco, Fedora Ambassador, Indiana, USA