Fedora Weekly News 246

      * 1 Fedora Weekly News Issue 246
           o 1.1 Marketing
           o 1.2 Fedora In the News
                 + 1.2.1 New Fedora Linux Project Leader Building More
Than a Distro (CIOUpdate)
           o 1.3 Ambassadors
                 + 1.3.1 Welcome New Ambassadors
                 + 1.3.2 Summary of traffic on Ambassadors mailing list
                 + 1.3.3 Summary of traffic on FAmSCo mailing list
           o 1.4 QualityAssurance
                 + 1.4.1 Test Days
                 + 1.4.2 Fedora 14 Beta testing
                 + 1.4.3 Proven testers
                 + 1.4.4 Release criteria
                 + 1.4.5 Nice-to-have bug process
           o 1.5 Translation
                 + 1.5.1 Fedora 14 Tasks
                 + 1.5.2 Changes in Modules for Translation
                 + 1.5.3 Seapplet Translations Require Updations
                 + 1.5.4 Delay in Website Translation Start Date Requested
                 + 1.5.5 New Members and Sponsors in FLP
           o 1.6 Design
                 + 1.6.1 Icon Design
                 + 1.6.2 Release Graphics
                 + 1.6.3 Design Suite Leadership
           o 1.7 Security Advisories
                 + 1.7.1 Fedora 14 Security Advisories
                 + 1.7.2 Fedora 13 Security Advisories
                 + 1.7.3 Fedora 12 Security Advisories

- Fedora Weekly News Issue 246 -

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 246[1] for the week ending October
6, 2010. What follows are some highlights from this issue.

Our issue opens with news from the Marketing team's list discussion over
the past week, with much work around Fedora 14 marketing tasks. We have
one press piece in Fedora In the News this week, focusing on a recent
interview with Fedora Project Leader, Jared Smith. In Fedora Ambassadors
news, a summary of list discussion from this past week, as well as
coverage of FAmSCo traffic and some new Ambassadors! Quality Assurance
brings us up to date with recent Test Days outcomes on systemd, anaconda
translations, graphics test week, and the upcoming Test Day on OpenLDAP
with the NSS security library. Also in this issue, a summary of Fedora
14 beta testing, proven testers, and work on some new release criteria.
In Translation news, a revuew of upcoming Fedora 14 tasks, several
changes in modules for translation, and new members and sponsors for the
Fedora Localization Project. In Design team news, work on an icon set
from a new contributor, a summary of release graphics, and a change in
leadership for the Design Suite. This issue rounds out with security
advisories released in the last week for Fedora 12, 13 and 14. Enjoy!

The audio version of FWN - FAWN - is back! You can listen to existing
issues[2] on the Internet Archive. If anyone is interested in helping
spread the load of FAWN production, please contact us!

If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see
our 'join' page[3]. We welcome reader feedback: news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FWN Editorial Team: Pascal Calarco, Adam Williamson

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue246
    2. http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22FWN%22
    3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join

-- Marketing --

In this section, we cover the happenings for Fedora Marketing Project
from 2010-09-29 to 2010-10-05.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

Contributing Writer: Neville A. Cross

Rejaul Islam[1] contributed[2] with a summary of Fedora 14 features.

Ankur Sinha[3] suggested[4] that we need a easy way to pass the "in the
news" media hits to identi.ca and twitter

Paul W. Frields[5] was looking[6] to coordinate features profiles
articles with Red Hat press blog. Kara Schiltz pointed out[7] some
openings for October 21 and 28. Robyn Bergeron[8] pointed out[9] that
EC2 and mini-SIG are under work, but also expressed need for some one to
make a feature profile on developer tools. Paul said[10] he was already
working on it.

Paul W. Frields[11] indicated[12] that Red Hat is undertaking press
release for Fedora 14. If anybody wants to pitch in can look at the wiki
page[13] for collaborating.

    1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rejaul
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-September/013435.html
    3. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-September/013437.html
    5. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Stickster
    6.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-October/013446.html
    7.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-October/013447.html
    8. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rbergero
    9.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-October/013449.html
   10.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-October/013451.html
   11. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Stickster
   12.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-October/013450.html
   13. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_announcement

-- Fedora In the News --

In this section, we cover news from the trade press and elsewhere that
is re-posted to the Fedora Marketing list[1]

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco

    1. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/

--- New Fedora Linux Project Leader Building More Than a Distro
(CIOUpdate) ---

Kara Schiltz forwarded[1] a recent article focusing on the Fedora
Project Leader, Jared Smith:

"The Red Hat sponsored Fedora Linux community is an open source
development effort that includes a diverse set of participants. At the
top of the organizational chart for Fedora is the position of Fedora
Project Leader, the person tasked with overseeing the general direction
and operations of the Fedora project.

In July, Jared Smith took up the position of Fedora Project Leader,
replacing the outgoing Paul Frields[2]. Among Smith's first jobs is to
guide the development and release of the upcoming Fedora 14[3] Linux
distribution, set for general availability in November. Building the
Fedora Linux distribution is one of Smith's key responsibilities as
Fedora Project Leader, but it involves more than just pure code.

'A lot of the time we think of Fedora as just the bits and the bytes
that we burn on a CD[4] every six months and ship out, but Fedora is
more than that, it has to be a community,' Smith said. 'As such we have
to concentrate on building that community and taking care of the
community as much as we take care of the bits and bytes.'"

The full article is available[5]

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-October/013445.html
    2.
http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2010/06/red-hat-names-new-fedora-proje.html
    3. http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7184/1/
    4.
http://www.cioupdate.com/features/article.php/3906551/New-Fedora-Linux-Project-Leader-Building-More-Than-a-Distro.htm#
    5.
http://www.cioupdate.com/features/article.php/3906551/New-Fedora-Linux-Project-Leader-Building-More-Than-a-Distro.htm

-- Ambassadors --

This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Ambassadors Project[1].

Contributing Writer: Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors

--- Welcome New Ambassadors ---

This week the Fedora Ambassadors Project had a couple of new members
joining.

Giulio from Italy mentored by Robert Scheck

Christian Jantz from Germany mentored by Robert Scheck

--- Summary of traffic on Ambassadors mailing list ---

Christoph Wikcert posted [1] initial thoughts around media production
for Fedora 14 release in the EMEA region

Rejaul Islam posted [2] about the features that have been accepted by
FESCo as part of Fedora 14 release [3]

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer announced [4] the availability via torrent [5]
of the i686 F13 Live with GNOME, KDE, LXDE and XFCE on one disk. This
was in context of the thread [6] from the previous month

Saadeddine AlSaidi posted [7] an off topic mail about Combating Online
Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) introduced in the US

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wondered [8] if it would be a good idea to
replace the current 4 CDs of Desktop Spin with a single DVD that
contains all the spins. Sascha cited possible savings due to mass
production. There was further discussion on the thread [9] about this
idea along side discussion on re-spins.

David Ramsey posted [10] meeting notes from the APAC meeting on 2010-10-03

John Poelstra posted [11] about upcoming tasks around Fedora 14

Scott McBrien reminded [12] the NA Ambassadors about the meeting on
2010-10-06. David Ramsey provided information [13] about updates to the
agenda

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-September/015636.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-September/015632.html
    3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/14/FeatureList
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015642.html
    5. http://sspreitzer.fedorapeople.org/torrents/
    6.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-September/015639.html
    7.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015643.html
    8.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015645.html
    9.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/thread.html#15645
   10.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015651.html
   11.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015658.html
   12.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015662.html
   13.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015663.html

--- Summary of traffic on FAmSCo mailing list ---

David Nalley posted [1] the meeting minutes from the last FAmSCo meeting
[2] along with the meeting minutes from the meeting on 2010-09-20 [3]

Max Spevack announced [4] about his inability to attend the FAmSCo
meeting for 2010-10-04

Joerg Simon mentioned [5] that he would return from vacation on 2010-10-06

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-September/000365.html
    2.
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2010-09-27/fedora-meeting-1.2010-09-27-18.05.txt
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-September/000366.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-October/000367.html
    5.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-October/000369.html

-- Quality Assurance --

In this section, we cover the activities of the QA team[1]. For more
information on the work of the QA team and how you can get involved, see
the Joining page[2].

The QA section returns this week after a month's absence, for which I
apologize! At first I was busy with Fedora 14 Beta work, and for the
last two weeks I simply missed the deadline. If anyone would like to
help write the QA beat so this doesn't happen in future, please do get
in touch, I'd welcome the help.

Contributing Writer: Adam Williamson

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA
    2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Join

--- Test Days ---

Since the last issue, there have been Test Days for systemd[1]
(recap[2]), anaconda non-English translations and keyboard layouts[3]
(recap[4]), virtualization[5], and the Graphics Test Week, including
nouveau[6], radeon[7], and intel[8] (recap[9]). See the recaps for
details on each event, but they were all broadly successful in exposing
bugs to be fixed for the Fedora 14 release.

Next week's Test Day[10] on 2010-10-14 will be on the use of OpenLDAP
with the NSS security library - the use of NSS with OpenLDAP is new in
Fedora 14, replacing the previous use of OpenSSL. The Test Day will
focus on ensuring that OpenLDAP with NSS behaves exactly as OpenLDAP
with OpenSSL did. If you're an OpenLDAP user, please come along to the
Test Day and help ensure there are no nasty surprises with OpenLDAP in
Fedora 14! As always, the Test Day will run all day in the
#fedora-test-day IRC channel. You can help out with testing using a
virtual machine, so there's no need to alter your main system.

This will be the last Test Day of the Fedora 14 cycle. If you would like
to propose a main track Test Day for the Fedora 15 cycle, please contact
the QA team via email or IRC, or file a ticket in QA Trac[11].

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-09-07_Systemd
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-September/093463.html
    3.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-09-16_AnacondaTranslationKeyboard
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-September/093871.html
    5. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-09-23_Virtualization
    6. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-09-28_Nouveau
    7. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-09-29_Radeon
    8. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-09-30_Intel
    9.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/094439.html
   10. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-10-14_OpenLDAP/NSS
   11. http://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/

--- Fedora 14 Beta testing ---

The group has been busy for the last month or so with Fedora 14 Beta
validation and testing. We performed validation testing on TC1[1],
RC1[2], RC2[3] and RC3[4], with many community members contributing
extensive testing. Eventually we declared that RC3 had passed
installation validation testing and desktop validation testing
(including all four primary desktops), and along with the development
and release engineering groups, approved the release of RC3 as Fedora 14
Beta at the go/no-go meeting of 2010-09-22[5].

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-September/093468.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-September/093830.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-September/093843.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-September/093947.html
    5.
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2010-09-22/fedora-meeting.2010-09-22-21.01.log.html

--- Proven testers ---

Adam Williamson announced[1] a proven testers procedure
clarification[2]: if an update does not fix a bug it claims to fix, but
otherwise works correctly and has other changes which do work, proven
testers should not file negative karma against that update.

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-September/093372.html
    2.
http://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Proven_tester&diff=195994&oldid=193694

--- Release criteria ---

James Laska proposed some new release criteria[1] defining when artwork
should be ready for each Fedora release. John Dulaney and Adam
Williamson responded positively, so James pushed the change to the Wiki[2].

Adam Williamson proposed a new release criterion[3] requiring there to
be no unintentional conflicts or unresolved dependencies in the entire
package repository frozen for release. This was proposed on behalf of
release engineering following discussion at a blocker meeting. Some felt
this was too high a standard to aim for. After some discussion, Bill
Nottingham stated that "I'd be willing to extend/change this such that
trees are tested for broken dependencies, all broken dependencies are
filed, and these tickets are attached to the nice-to-have tracker".

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-September/093476.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-September/093568.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/094302.html

--- Nice-to-have bug process ---

Adam Williamson submitted a proposal[1] for a formal process for
handling nice-to-have bugs; those bugs that do not block a given release
but for which fixes will be taken during the freeze period for that
release. James Laska responded with some suggested modifications[2].

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-September/094067.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-September/094122.html

-- Translation --

This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Translation (L10n)
Project[1].

Contributing Writer: Runa Bhattacharjee

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N

--- Fedora 14 Tasks ---

John Poelstra informed[1] the list about the upcoming tasks for Fedora
14. As per the schedule, translation of Final Release Notes and all
guides is currently underway.

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-October/008072.html

--- Changes in Modules for Translation ---

'Python for You and Me'[1], 'Storage Administration Guide (Fedora
14)'[2] have been added to translate.fedoraproject.org to accept
translations. Additionally, translations have been opened for Fedora 14
branch of the Accessibility Guide[3] and Installation Guide[4] and
translations into the Fedora 13 branch of the 'Security Guide'[5] has
been stopped.

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-September/008063.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-September/008059.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-September/008062.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-October/008073.html
    5.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-September/008067.html

--- Seapplet Translations Require Updations ---

A patch submitted by Ville-Pekka Vainio fixed a problem that prevented
the seapplet to use the available translations. An update in the PO
files and this patch has added a few more strings for which translations
need to be updated[1].

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-October/008075.html

--- Delay in Website Translation Start Date Requested ---

Sijis Aviles from the Fedora Website team has requested to delay the
start of Fedora Website translations as the team is still finalizing the
content for fedoraproject.org[1].

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-October/008076.html

--- New Members and Sponsors in FLP ---

[[User:Lenormand | Guillaume Bonnoron] (French)[1], Tomasz Karpowicz
(Polish)[2], Antonio Trande (Italian)[3], Anatolyi Romsa (Ukranian,
Russian)[4], joined the Fedora Localization Project recently. Also, the
Russian team has a new coordinator Misha Snurapet, who takes over from
Yulia Poyarkova[5].

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-September/008068.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-October/008071.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-October/008080.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-October/008082.html
    5.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2010-October/008077.html

-- Design --

In this section, we cover the Fedora Design Team[1].

Contributing Writer: Nicu Buculei

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

--- Icon Design ---

When Bryan Nielsen, as a new contributor, tried his hand [1] at a first
task[2] "I was looking for a simple ticket item that I could tackle and
ticket #99 does not have an owner and looked like something I could
handle", Jakub Steiner, the team's guru in icon design, stepped in[3]
with useful advices "Indeed, the workflow goes like this - create the
highres, scale it down for 48x48, remove all the detail that won't
render. Get rid of all the mask tricks, put 1px strokes in place. Make
sure everything snaps to the pixel grid (snap to bounding box in
inkscape). Once 48x48 is down, repeat for smaller sizes. Once done, edit
the icon name and context in the baseplate layer, hide the baseplate
layer and render the icon with `./render-icon-theme.py icon-name`" and
after a number of iterations Bryan achieved[4] a good result.

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003381.html
    2. http://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/99
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003396.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003419.html

--- Release Graphics ---

Media artwork (CD/DVD sleeves and labels) are one of the lasts items
needing to be done before the Fedora 14 release so Alexander Smirnov
proposed[1] a design "It's my proposal for create DVD/CD sleeve artwork.
This concept based on our new branding font Comfortaa and Cantarel."
After a suggestion[2] by Máirín Duffy he removed the GNOME logo and
improved[3] the text layout. Alexander even created[4] physical products
and provided photos "I created real sleeve for preview (photo from my
mobile phone)." Marc Stewart built his own version[5] on Alexander's
layout "I am indebted to Alexander for posting his designs. Up until a
few hours ago, I felt there was something missing from mine, and have
shamelessly stolen the overlay and front logo, and moved the front
details from the bottom-left over to the right as a consequence of
incorporating these elements."

Alexander Smirnov also created[6] the countdown banner[7] for the Fedora
14 release "I ended make translate version my countdown banner" and
Máirín Duffy forwarded[8] it to the websites list.

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003387.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003390.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003402.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003409.html
    5.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003408.html
    6.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003403.html
    7.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F14_Artwork_Banners_Submissions/Countdown_Translate
    8.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/websites/2010-October/008622.html

--- Design Suite Leadership ---

Chris Jones announced[1] his resignation as a co-maintainer of the
Fedora Design Suite "This is by no means good bye for me and my Fedora
and Fedora Design Suite Spin Development contributions. It's simply a
change of position to something more suited to my current choices and
availabilities", Nicu Buculei made the case[2] for a better
collaboration "I think it would have been helpful if all of you sat down
together (at the weekly IRC Design Team meetings would be a perfect
opportunity), talk and fine tune your vision", Pierros Papadeas
acknowledged[3] his share "I really feel that I should apologize for not
being responsive the past couple of months, as I have tremendous
pressure from my school and job. I am feeling deeply sorry about that"
and Chris reiterated[4] talk did happen, but not in public "I should
probably have mentioned that all three of us did have email contact and
our own meetings away from the mailing list and out of public discussion."

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003405.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003406.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003407.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003417.html

-- Security Advisories --

In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce

Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco

--- Fedora 14 Security Advisories ---

     * seamonkey-2.0.8-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049002.html
     * openswan-2.6.29-1.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/048999.html
     * cgit-0.8.2.1-4.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/048993.html
     * clamav-0.96.3-1400.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/048974.html
     * mysql-5.1.50-2.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/048881.html
     * mantis-1.1.8-4.fc14 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-September/048548.html

--- Fedora 13 Security Advisories ---

     * mysql-5.1.50-2.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/048788.html
     * mantis-1.1.8-4.fc13 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-September/048659.html

--- Fedora 12 Security Advisories ---

     * mantis-1.1.8-4.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-September/048639.html
     * php-pecl-apc-3.1.4-2.fc12 -
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-September/048630.html

--
Pascal Calarco, Fedora Ambassador, Indiana, USA