Summer Coding update (was Fedora Weekly News 221)

This is an update going out to the news organizations that regularly
receive Fedora Weekly News.  I missed our deadline yesterday, fully my
mistake.  The Summer Coding SIG had a meeting yesterday which resulted
in important news, but I got caught up trying to update wiki pages,
etc. so I'd be able to announce the schedule change.

Below is the Fedora Summer Coding beat written up in case it helps.
(I'll send a separate email to announce@.)

    * 1 Special topic: Fedora Summer Coding
          o 1.1 Schedule moved back a month
          o 1.2 Search for sponsors continues
          o 1.3 Students invited to submit proposals

This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Summer 2010
Coding[1].

Contributing Writer: Karsten Wade

   1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010

=== Schedule moved back a month ===

In a blog post, Karsten Wade writes[1], "In today’s SIG meeting[2],
the group decided to move back our schedule by a month so we can:

    * Give mentors more time to generate good ideas;
    * Give students more time to generate good proposals;
    * Give organizers more time to find sponsors and funding.

The post went on, "I’ll be updating the schedule[3] ASAP, but you can
generally figure we’ll be adding 15 to 30 days to each deadline. I’ll
send out new announcements to the developer’s list when it is
updated."

   1. http://iquaid.org/2010/04/14/more-time-for-fedora-summer-coding-schedule-moved-back-a-month/
   2. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/summer-coding/2010-April/000064.html
   3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010_schedule

=== Search for sponsors continues ===

In a follow-up post, Karsten Wade wrote[1], "Has your company every
wanted to partner with Google on their Summer of Code? (It’s not
something they share, and I know people have asked.)

Don’t answer too quickly. You might want to check with some contacts
in other departments, see if there ever has been interest in tapping
the deeper benefits of sponsoring a summer coding event.

Red Hat took a look, which I wrote up in a report in the fall of
2009[2], and that’s the main reason we are doing Fedora Summer Coding
2010[3].

If you work for or with an organization, business, foundation,
non-profit, etc. that benefits from a better Fedora Project … consider
if you have some budget to help fund a student proposal[4].

Aside from all the potential benefits to the Fedora Project that
directly or indirectly benefit you, your company stands to gain more
than positive brand image.[5] You help teach the next generation about
how to be involved in FOSS, which teaches them the skills you want
them to have when you hire them. Red Hat is not the only company who
has hired former GSoC students.

We have the next 9 or 10 days to get funding pledges from sponsors for
this first round. If you think there is any chance you or your
organization might want to participate at any funding level, please
contact me directly[6] and we’ll go from there.

Even if you can’t make this first round, contact me anyway[7]. For
example, we’re discussing scheduling a summer coding for the Southern
Hemisphere. This would make time for new sponsors in this calendar
year.

   1. http://iquaid.org/2010/04/13/sponsoring-summer-coding-get-and-give-value/
   2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GSoC_report_2009
   3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010
   4. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010#You_are_a_sponsoring_organization
   5. http://iquaid.org/2010/04/02/seeking-sponsors-universities-corporations-foundations-individuals-creative-ideas/
   6. mailto:kwade@xxxxxxxxxx
   7. mailto:kwade@xxxxxxxxxx

=== Students invited to submit proposals ===

In an announcement on 07 April, Fedora Summer Coding 2010 is inviting
students to begin submitting proposals, as explained in the section
"You are a student"[1] on the Summer Coding 2010 page.

   1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010#You_are_a_student