Re: FWN Beat for my local community?

On 18/12/09 10:29 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
On 12/18/2009 04:29 PM, Pascal Calarco wrote:
Hi Yijan --

I think its a great idea to have occasional special beats that overview
Fedora activity ion a geographical area, if that's what you are getting
at. If you'd like to write one for your area and submit it, that would
be great! Let me know and I will set up a new beat space for you on the
wiki.

The question is, where do we draw the line? We have so many local
communities that including news from all of them would result in a very
long and hard to read page.

I am thinking of these as perhaps very occasional and not regular beats and as extended reports from the event reports that Larry includes in the Ambassadors beats. For example, two Ambassadors from India write a beat to highlight what Fedora activities have happened in Bangalore over the past 6-12 months, highlighting activities, events, characterizing who is involved and also broader issues like open source in general in that community area.

Still, we have a bit of overlap: local activities are usually organised
by an Ambassador, so they are reported on the Ambassadors list, with the
most important of them finding way on the Ambassadors beat. Also, the
people organizing them or participating them may have blogs aggregated
on Planet, so the event may find its way also on the Planet beat.

Yes, agreed, there is overlap here. For shorter reports, these are currently handled in Ambassadors (if the details of the report are posted to fedora-ambassadors-list), or the Planet (if the post shows up on the FP aggregation).

Me, I am involved in a local community (just presented about Fedora at a
local conference this Saturday) and at times would have plenty of things
to report, as would have many other Fedora fellows from different
places. I think this content have to be filtered somehow, so we don't
flood the readers.

Yes, agreed!

  - pascal