Some thoughts on FWN workflow for Fedora Insight

Hi News Team --

Dale, Mel and I have been having some off-list conversation on FWN on Zikula, and it seems like a good time to share these workflow thoughts, and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Zikula is very much like other CMSes, and I have been thinking of how to make this work for FWN rather like a blog, at least so far.

1) beat writers write up their beats as one posting in Zikula/Fedora Insight, and assign it the appropriate news category that is equivalent to the beat they are writing. I added all of the current active beats to this as categories within the "news" module in Zikula on publictest6. Beat writers would complete their beats and leave these as unpublished for the editors to check over and then publish. This is a simple option in Zikula's editing and posting options when you are editing an item. Separating these into categories also allows subscribers some more granularity in subscribing at the beat level within FWN with the RSS functionality, should they wish.

2) xinhua will provide functionality for embedding URL references, which could be back to the wiki, external links, and perhaps even to the other beats in a given issue. There was some discussion on the news list back in the late summer about challenges with doing linking with just the vanilla Zikula, so Mel and I lobbied for an editor to be added sooner rather than later to address this. The beats will need to have the particular FWN issue as an additional tag so that we can distinguish and aggregate them.

3) If beat writers can tag their beat post also with "Fedora Weekly News" as a tag, then we could also aggregate the beats RSS-like, into a complete issue, that readers could then subscribe to these and receive them as RSS, as beats are approved.

4) for the e-mail FWN version, we'll use some XSLT or perhaps perl or python scripting to transform the RSS into some plaintext. This should not be hard to do and we can find someone who should be able to create this for us. The goal for this version will be to make it look basically like what we have for the e-mail version now. Links will need to point back to Zikula, as appropriate.

The FWN archive to issues should point to the specific aggregated FWN
issue back in Zikula/FI. If all the RSS works properly, this should work.

Beyond this, of course, we hope that we could actually expand FWN content to be video and audio reports and features as well. Think of the possibilities for interviews and such, perhaps a "Developer of the Month" beat with an interview with them. Kamisamanou Burgess, who just joined the news list who is interested in podcasting and FWN, may be interested in this as well.

Are there any thoughts or ideas about the above? Also, Mel suggested that we could perhaps work on FWN on FI during the hackfest at FUDCon 2009 Toronto (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Toronto_2009). I might suggest we do this on Sunday, December 6, 2009. This would mean working on IRC, probably also logged in to the Zikula test instance on publictest6, and maybe a SIP conference for voice if we can swing one.

Are there some particular times then that would be best from folks' on the team's perspective? Thanks for your input, everyone!

  - pascal