Fedora Insight: FWN experimentation

After resolving an issue with Zikula on publictest6 kindly resolved by Simon, I've been putting some of the content into the test instance of Zikula for Fedora Insight, and have a few comments.

1) Stories need to be marked up in HTML to get the same linkback functionality we currently have with the wiki version, so one decision point is whether we do this markup within Zikula or if we have writers externalize this and use an HTML editor of their choice and then paste in the news story in FI, or whether we want to try to integrate a WYSIWYG editor into Zikula. There are pros and cons to both, but I might suggest external editors, for the reason below.

2) The timeout value on Zikula is too short. In trying to enter the news story for FWN 195 announcements, after finishing the news item my session timed out and all my work was lost. It would be easier to edit this locally and then just create the news story when I am done.

3) We need to decision what level to create news items at. If there is a desire to continue FWN as a identifiable entity, there would be value in presenting news stories at the beat[1] level, and marked and tagged as such. People could subscribe to FWN content by subscribing to anything tagged as FWN, and using the categories, people could do the same as well

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Beats

4) I was not able to create child categories from the FWN category, which would be useful if people want to subscribe at the beat level, say if they only care about Marketing, for example. How do I do this?

5) It is possible to retain the editorial workflow within FI, since content creators can submit their news items for review before they are published. This isn't the default right now though, so I might suggest having Zikula set up so that it doesn't publish the item right away, at least from an FWN perspective.

Okay, that's enough to get discussion started.  Comments most welcome!

I plan to attend FUDCon Toronto in December and hopefully we can spend some quality time hacking on this on the Sunday and Monday.

  - pascal

Fedora Ambassador, Indiana USA
Fedora Weekly News editorial team