Re: Ad policy

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 14:04 -0500, Oisin Feeley wrote:
> * Ads should cohere with the goals of the Fedora Project: promoting
> freedom and openness
>   i.e. we would not be interested in discounts on non-Free software or
>   training to use non-Free software.

Definitely.

> * We should not accept money for advertisements in order to maintain our
> independence.
>
> * Ads should offer tangible, immediate benefits to Fedora Project
> members as long as the other conditions are met.
>   So, for example, if LPI wished to offer a discount to Fedora Project
>   members we would run that too as it is likely to be of material
>   benefit to many members and does not promote non-Free software and is
>   distribution neutral.
>
> * Other Operating Systems or distributions are not of interest unless
> they are derivatives of Fedora.
>   i.e. RHEL, Yellow Dog, BLAG, Aurora, MythDora
>
> I'm not sure about hypothetical situations involving non-OS-specific
> discounts, say for example the FSF or EFF wished to extend some offer to
> GNU/Linux users in general. I think that should not be a problem unless
> it were to turn out in the future that more than, say, 20% of our
> content was advertisements. That seems highly unlikely though.

I agree with your proposed guidelines above.

I'm not particularly interested in running ads. I doubt there are many
potential ads, but I wonder if coming up with an explicit policy might
invite more.

This one seemed particularly relevant and appropriate, however to me it
looked garish and out of place. I would prefer that it be a one or two
line blurb with a link to a press release or something on the vendor
site rather than a big chunk of commercial distraction in the text. That
actually renders it more of a news item than an ad in fact.

--
Dale Bewley - Unix Administrator - Shields Library - UC Davis
GPG: 0xB098A0F3 0D5A 9AEB 43F4 F84C 7EFD  1753 064D 2583 B098 A0F3