Re: OLPC beat complete

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:59:26 -0400, "Pascal Calarco" <pcalarco@xxxxxx>
said:
> Hi fedora-news and fedora-olpc folk --
>
> The OLPC beat for FWN is complete[1] for FWN 149.  I struggled with how
> much detail to put into this from the OLPC-Community weekly that Jim
> Gettys sends out, an opted to be verbose, not really knowing where to
> stop :)  I'd appreciate feedback on whether I should simply reference
> the OLPC-Community weekly news and pull out announcements only, or
> whether it is actually useful to highlight the software work going on at
> OLPC.  Thanks!

This is awesome Pascal! Personally speaking I'm very ignorant about OLPC
and Sugar (played with some QEMU images ages ago just to see) and found
the beat fascinating but I wondered what were many of the OLPC-specific
technical terms. Perhaps brief footnotes explaining them or links to
their wiki entries? I know, I know I should get off my lazy a## and just
google them, but if I'm reading quickly I often don't do that.

It's really hard to know where to stop.  Who's the audience? People that
just need a quick shorthand reminder of what went on the week they were
away? People with mild curiosity seeking a concise digest of the
firehose of information? Complete novices looking for something to
orient them to the culture and currents in the community? I think we're
all grappling with that and it'll be interesting to hear other opinions.

In closing I really enjoyed reading the new column and I'm deeply
grateful that you're doing this.

Best wishes,
--
  Oisin Feeley