Re: How to call default browser

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 07:52:35PM +0200, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a package where default browser to be used by a program should be
> defined in a Makefile. There is firefox typed by default, but it's
> always annoying when an app calls not your preferred browser.
> There can be default browser defined in Fedora, but how can I call it
> from a command line (I searched in alternatives, but without success)?

htmlview can be used for the browser, but the generic command is
xdg-open.

> Btw, there is no default *graphical* text editor. What do you think
> could be defined as that?

xdg-open could do that too. When opening a text file it will use the
corresponding freedesktop application. In fact it could be used to open
any type of file/URL.

xdg-open will do the right thing in gnome, kde, xfce, and in any
environment with /usr/bin/mimeopen from perl-File-MimeInfo, and lastly
use $BROWSER htmlview:firefox:mozilla:netscape:links:lynx.

--
Pat