EPEL report week 33 2007

= Weekly EPEL Summary =

Week 33/2007

== Most important happenings ==

 * reminder: now that EPEL is officially announced all new and updates
EPEL packages go straight to EPEL-testing and *not* to the stable repo.
EPEL-testing packages will (if everything is sane) get moved to stable
repo in parallel with a quarterly RHEL update. If you have a security
update that needs to go to EPEL-stable build normally and contact
ThorstenLeemhuis

 There are some discussion to adjust that scheme (sync more often, push
new packages directly or after a small warning period to stable, ...);
see the list for details at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-August/msg00083.html

 * some discussion on the list to do much more on the mailiglist instead
of in the meetings -- see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-August/msg00071.html

 * two RFC's which might be approved soon got posted to the list --

   * Job description:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-August/msg00082.html

   * communication plan:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-August/msg00081.html

  if you don't like something speak up now

From:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/Reports/Week33

== EPEL SIG Meeting ==

=== Attending ===

>From the Steering Committee:

 * knurd (ThorstenLeemhuis)
 * mmcgrath (MikeMcGrath)
 * Jeff_S (Jeff Sheltren)
 * quaid (KarstenWade)
 * nirik (KevinFenzi)
 * stahnma (MichaelStahnke)

Missing from the Steering Committee:

 * dgilmore (DennisGilmore) (missed it by a few minutes)

=== Summary ===

 * new push scripts for pushing to testing, adjust mock configs to use
testing -- dgilmore

  * finished ; thx for your work dgilmore

  * we need to do more stuff with the scripts to be able to push to
stable  easily; knurd will take a look

 * branch for EPEL if Fedora maintainer does not react

  * finished; dgilmore enhanced the text to fix something knurd
complained about. The last sentence reads now: "If the Fedora maintainer
later decides to participate in EPEL, then the Fedora maintainer will
become co-maintainer for EPEL. (Of course co-maintainership can be
extended to Fedora)"

 * yum for EPEL4 -- Jeff_S

  * "How to do it" also got finished :)  -- we take the CentOS srpms as
base, ship them with a lower release to do no harm to CentOS and remove
the yum.conf, as yum without a RHEL4-repo can not be used to install
stuff from EPEL, but is of value for stuff like yum-utils or mock

 * EPEL announcement happened -- are we satisfied with how everything
worked out?

  * was discussed in the past meetings -- we'll remove it from the
schedule, move on and discuss stuff as needed

 * RHX and EPEL -- quaid

  * quiad: "nothing new ; but I haven't asked in a while; forgot it
could be on the agenda "

 * communication plan for enterprise customers/ISVs/IHVs -- stahnma, quaid

  * will get send to the list for final discussions

 * Generic Job Description -- quaid

  * will get send to the list for final discussions

 * ExcludeArch TrackerBugs for EPEL -- notting/knurd

  * knurd doesn't find the time for it atm; any volunteers?

 * FESCo mandate/how to move on with SIG and SteeringCommittee

  * current mandate for the EPEL SIG and its Steering Committee is
limited until end of September; do we want to move on with the current
scheme ? or do we want to elect a sterring committee?

  * some people wondered if elections really make sense

  * we could recommend to FESCo an extension of the mandate for e.g. 6
months

  * stahnma> "I think right now growth of the repo and user-base is
where we should putting effort  not into politics "

  * quaid> "we seem to have a manageable group without adding or
subtracting "

  * mmcgrath> "I guess a specific goal would be good.  I mean the
obvious goal is there but do we also want to aggressively add more
packages?  Add more packagers?  Add more documentation?  Marketing? "

  * "more packages" is still a important goal

  * stahnma> "allow for hostile takeover of maintainane :) "

  * knurd> "maybe we need a sponsor-way for EPEL-only contributors that
want to maintain existing packages  "

  * we stopped there and will continue this topic on the list and in the
next meeting

 * Free discussion around EPEL

  * mmcgrath> "just wanted to say I think the EPEL community is pretty
healthy right now, lots of people and packages being built and we're
still very young. "

  * Jeff_S_> "I'm happy to try to do most communication on the list and
then just finalize things in meetings -- that way we can speed through
these faster :) "

  * stahnma> "I liked the speed of today's meeting "

=== Full Log ===

https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-August/msg00115.html

== Stats ==

=== General ===

Number of EPEL Contributors -- now that the pgkdb is in production it's
for now not easily determinable (AFAIK)

=== EPEL 5 ===

Number of source packages: 590

Number of binary packages:  1146

There are 79 new Packages (might include some old packages that were
moved to testing right before the EPEL announcement):

 * arj | Archiver for .arj files
 * audio-entropyd | Generate entropy from audio output
 * bcfg2 | Configuration management system
 * bugzilla | Bug tracking system
 * cabextract | Utility for extracting cabinet (.cab) archives
 * chmlib | Library for dealing with ITSS/CHM format files
 * evolution-bogofilter | A plugin for bogofilter support in evolution
 * freeze | freeze/melt/fcat compression utilities
 * gdal | GIS file format library
 * geos | GEOS is a C++ port of the Java Topology Suite
 * gnome-screensaver-frogs | GNOME Screensaver Slideshow of Frogs
 * google-perftools | Very fast malloc and performance analysis tools
 * guile-cairo | The Cairo graphics library for Guile Scheme
 * guile-lib | A repository of useful code written in Guile Scheme
 * JSDoc | Produces javadoc-style documentation from JavaScript sourcefiles
 * lasi | C++ library for creating Postscript documents
 * libdap | The C++ DAP2 library from OPeNDAP
 * libgeotiff | GeoTIFF format library
 * limph | A PHP5-compatible network host/service poller with web interface
 * lzop | Real-time file compressor
 * mapserver | Environment for building spatially-enabled internet
applications
 * mfstools | Utilities for TiVo drive upgrades
 * moodle | A Course Management System
 * netgo | Networking profile manager
 * nikto | Web server scanner
 * nomarch | GPLed Arc de-archiver
 * ogdi | Open Geographic Datastore Interface
 * oneko | Cat chases the cursor
 * pbzip2 | Parallel implementation of bzip2
 * Perlbal | Reverse-proxy load balancer and webserver
 * perl-Convert-TNEF | Perl module to read TNEF files
 * perl-Convert-UUlib | Perl interface to the uulib library
 * perl-Danga-Socket | Event loop and event-driven async socket base class
 * perl-Device-SerialPort | Linux/POSIX emulation of Win32::SerialPort
functions
 * perl-ExtUtils-F77 | Simple interface to F77 libs
 * perl-Gearman-Client-Async | Asynchronous Client for the Gearman
distributed job system
 * perl-Gearman | Distributed job system
 * perl-Gearman-Server | Function call "router" and load balancer
 * perl-Image-ExifTool | Utility for reading and writing image meta info
 * perl-IO-AIO | Asynchronous Input/Output
 * perl-libwhisker2 | Perl module geared specificly for HTTP testing
 * perl-Mail-SPF-Query | Query Sender Policy Framework
 * perl-MogileFS-Utils | Utilities for MogileFS
 * perl-Net-CIDR-Lite | Net::CIDR::Lite Perl module
 * perl-Net-Pcap | Interface to pcap(3) LBL packet capture library
 * perl-Razor-Agent | Use a Razor catalogue server to filter spam messages
 * perl-Sys-Syscall | Access system calls that Perl doesn't normally
provide access to
 * perl-Test-Base | Data Driven Testing Framework
 * perltidy | Tool for indenting and reformatting Perl scripts
 * php-pear-PHP-CodeSniffer | PHP coding standards enforcement tool
 * physfs | Library to provide abstract access to various archives
 * plplot | Library of functions for making scientific plots
 * postgresql-pgpool | Pgpool is a connection pooling/replication server
for PostgreSQL
 * proftpd | Flexible, stable and highly-configurable FTP server
 * proj | Cartographic projection software (PROJ.4)
 * pv | A tool for monitoring the progress of data through a pipeline
 * pychart | Python library for generating chart images
 * python-Coherence | Python framework to participate in digital living
networks
 * python-iniparse | Python Module for Accessing and Modifying
Configuration Data in INI files
 * python-lxml | ElementTree-like Python bindings for libxml2 and libxslt
 * python-pygments | A syntax highlighting engine written in Python
 * pyxdg | Python library to access freedesktop.org standards
 * qhull | General dimension convex hull programs
 * qucs | Circuit simulator
 * SDL_mixer | Simple DirectMedia Layer - Sample Mixer Library
 * ser2net | Proxy that allows tcp connections to serial ports
 * stripesnoop | Magnetic Stripe Reader
 * svgalib | Low-level fullscreen SVGA graphics library
 * svnmailer | Tool to post subversion repository commit information
 * tcpxtract | Tool for extracting files from network traffic
 * tidy | Utility to clean up and pretty print HTML/XHTML/XML
 * translate-toolkit | A collection of tools to assist software
localization
 * udunits | A library for manipulating units of physical quantities
 * ustr | String library, very low memory overhead, simple to import
 * vpnc | IPSec VPN client compatible with Cisco equipment
 * xerces-c | Validating XML Parser
 * xkeycaps | Graphical front end to xmodmap
 * xsupplicant | Open Source Implementation of IEEE 802.1x
 * zabbix | Open-source monitoring solution for your IT infrastructure

=== EPEL 4 ===

Number of source packages: 377

Number of binary packages:  778

There are 62 new Packages (might include some old packages that were
moved to testing right before the EPEL announcement):

 * arj | Archiver for .arj files
 * audio-entropyd | Generate entropy from audio output
 * bcfg2 | Configuration management system
 * bugzilla | Bug tracking system
 * chmlib | Library for dealing with ITSS/CHM format files
 * cobbler | Boot server configurator
 * freeze | freeze/melt/fcat compression utilities
 * geos | GEOS is a C++ port of the Java Topology Suite
 * gnome-screensaver-frogs | GNOME Screensaver Slideshow of Frogs
 * google-perftools | Very fast malloc and performance analysis tools
 * JSDoc | Produces javadoc-style documentation from JavaScript sourcefiles
 * libdap | The C++ DAP2 library from OPeNDAP
 * libgeotiff | GeoTIFF format library
 * limph | A PHP5-compatible network host/service poller with web interface
 * lzop | Real-time file compressor
 * mfstools | Utilities for TiVo drive upgrades
 * mimedefang | E-Mail filtering framework using Sendmail's Milter
interface
 * mock | Builds packages inside chroots
 * mod_security | Security module for the Apache HTTP Server
 * moodle | A Course Management System
 * netgo | Networking profile manager
 * nikto | Web server scanner
 * nomarch | GPLed Arc de-archiver
 * oneko | Cat chases the cursor
 * pbzip2 | Parallel implementation of bzip2
 * perl-Convert-TNEF | Perl module to read TNEF files
 * perl-Convert-UUlib | Perl interface to the uulib library
 * perl-Danga-Socket | Event loop and event-driven async socket base class
 * perl-Device-SerialPort | Linux/POSIX emulation of Win32::SerialPort
functions
 * perl-ExtUtils-F77 | Simple interface to F77 libs
 * perl-Image-ExifTool | Utility for reading and writing image meta info
 * perl-IO-AIO | Asynchronous Input/Output
 * perl-libwhisker2 | Perl module geared specificly for HTTP testing
 * perl-Mail-SPF-Query | Query Sender Policy Framework
 * perl-Net-CIDR-Lite | Net::CIDR::Lite Perl module
 * perl-Net-Server | Extensible, general Perl server engine
 * perl-Razor-Agent | Use a Razor catalogue server to filter spam messages
 * perl-SOAP-Lite | Client and server side SOAP implementation
 * perl-Sys-Syscall | Access system calls that Perl doesn't normally
provide access to
 * physfs | Library to provide abstract access to various archives
 * postgresql-dbi-link | Partial implementation of the SQL/MED portion
of the SQL:2003 specification
 * postgresql-pgpoolAdmin | PgpoolAdmin - web-based pgpool administration
 * postgresql-pgpool | Pgpool is a connection pooling/replication server
for PostgreSQL
 * proj | Cartographic projection software (PROJ.4)
 * pychart | Python library for generating chart images
 * python-Coherence | Python framework to participate in digital living
networks
 * python-lxml | ElementTree-like Python bindings for libxml2 and libxslt
 * pyxdg | Python library to access freedesktop.org standards
 * qucs | Circuit simulator
 * SDL_mixer | Simple DirectMedia Layer - Sample Mixer Library
 * ser2net | Proxy that allows tcp connections to serial ports
 * specto | An desktop application that will watch configurable events
 * sqlgrey | Postfix grey-listing policy service
 * stripesnoop | Magnetic Stripe Reader
 * svgalib | Low-level fullscreen SVGA graphics library
 * trac | Enhanced wiki and issue tracking system
 * trac-webadmin | Web interface for administration of Trac
 * udunits | A library for manipulating units of physical quantities
 * xerces-c | Validating XML Parser
 * xkeycaps | Graphical front end to xmodmap
 * xsupplicant | Open Source Implementation of IEEE 802.1x
 * zabbix | Open-source monitoring solution for your IT infrastructure

----
["CategoryEPELReports"]