Re: How to deal with circular BuildRequires ?

On 23/05/07, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 23/05/07, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tom Tromey and I are working on packaging bbdb for Emacs (see BZ
> 226800). However, there is a circular BuildRequires. In order that the
> Emacs mailreader VM (packaged as emacs-vm) and bbdb integrate
> properly, we need to have a BuildRequires: emacs-vm-el in the
> emacs-bbdb package, and we need to have a BuildRequires: emacs-bbdb-el
> in the emacs-vm package. In other words, both packages require the
> elisp source of the other to be present at build time.
>
> Is there an established way of solving this chicken and egg situation?

I should add also that building emacs-vm without the bbdb elisp source
present will succeed, producing compiled lisp without bbdb
functionality and the source el package as well. The same is true for
emacs-bbdb. This is only an issue when wanting to enable bbdb
functionality in vm.

And to answer my own mail again, thanks to notting on IRC the solution
is now clear to me - build both packages without the circular
BuildRequires. One packages exist for both, add the circular
BuildRequires and build again.