Re: Comments in spec files (was Re: Plan for tomorrows (20070517) FESCO meeting)

On Sat, 19 May 2007, Denis Leroy wrote:

Denis Leroy wrote:
Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2007 14:54:11 +0200, Denis Leroy wrote:

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
All we're asking (well, maybe all _I_ am asking) is that when people
feel like they need to break one of the guidelines, they present their
case and document that case in the spec file.
On that topic, how does one write comments in a spec file ?

# Like this
## or this in many script languages.

I remember a few years ago I was asked to remove all '# comments' lines from scriptlets apparently because they "could cause problems"...

No. You were only asked to not add such comment lines _after_ scriptlet
sections in the spec file, because the comments would be included in the
scriptlet bodies, even if a scriptlet section is passed to /sbin/ldconfig,
which doesn't understand the contents and breaks badly.

Not enough coffee. You meant "after scriptlet sections ON THE SAME LINE" as in

%post -p /sbin/ldconfig # bad comment

That's bad, but this is also bad:

No, that's fine. What is NOT fine is this:

# post scriptlet
%post -p /sbin/ldconfig

# postun scriptlet
%postun -p /sbin/ldconfig

The "# postun scriptlet" comment would get included in scriptlet body
which ldconfig tries to interpret and breaks.

        - Panu -