Re: odd file-requires in f7 packages

seth vidal wrote:
On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 21:14 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
seth vidal wrote:
Hi folks,
I sifted through all the file-requires in f7 from here: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/static-repos/f7-final-current/i386/

and I generated this list:
http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/misc/what-requires-crazy-files.txt

Good work.

These 2 are mine:
xblast-0:2.10.4-2.fc7.i386:/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf
chess-0:1.0-5.fc7.i386:/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf

These are both games which used to be shipped with some none free font, since these fonts get openened and rendered directly not through X / Xftconfig, I know no other way to make sure those files are there, basicly the (patched) code for this games does: fopen("/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf", "r"). Since fonts have moved around sometimes in the past, and that will break this games, I've written the Requires as file requires, so that I get broken requires report from the requires checking scripts during the devel cycle instead of BZ entries from users that it crashes once the new font layout hits the streets in the next fedora release.

I'm open to suggestions to doing this smarter. And ship a private copy of Vera.ttf is not a good suggestion!

I'd have two suggestions:
1. require bitstream-vera-fonts
2. monitor checkins to that package to see if the files have changed
paths

I know that's not much fun but then again - how often do fonts change
their locations?

concidering the fact that most people will already have bitstream-vera-fonts installed (and assuming yum will find that the requires is fullfilled without downloading filelists in this case) I do not think the pain is worth the gain in this particular case.

Regards,

Hans