Re: odd file-requires in f7 packages

Hans de Goede wrote:

xblast-0:2.10.4-2.fc7.i386:/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf
chess-0:1.0-5.fc7.i386:/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf

These are both games which used to be shipped with some none free font, since these fonts get openened and rendered directly not through X / Xftconfig, I know no other way to make sure those files are there, basicly the (patched) code for this games does: fopen("/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf", "r"). Since fonts have moved around sometimes in the past, and that will break this games, I've written the Requires as file requires, so that I get broken requires report from the requires checking scripts during the devel cycle instead of BZ entries from users that it crashes once the new font layout hits the streets in the next fedora release.

I'm open to suggestions to doing this smarter. And ship a private copy of Vera.ttf is not a good suggestion!

Maybe it's worth introducing something like the following in the font packages:

Provides: fontlayout(1, bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf)

Alternately, we could just ban moving the fonts around and then you can do:

Requires: bitstream-vera-fonts

;)

--
  Peter