Re: Broken upgrade paths in F7

Josh Boyer wrote:

How does that fix the upgrade path?  It's no better than having an
existing package with NVR less than FC/FE-6 functionally...  What good
does that do?

It makes sure whatever packages that are in the repository are upgradeable. That's the standard that we should set for the Fedora repository. It gains us the trust of our end users on the quality of software that we include and it's conveys the message to the maintainers that their package simply won't be in the release unless they fix this. The update system should also refuse to publish packages when the EVR is broken. That's a pretty good incentive for everyone to do the right thing.

Upgrade paths are broken when packages are orphaned too. I would consider any package where the maintainers haven't fix it to even upgrade from previous versions properly as effectively orphaned.

Rahul