Re: [F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Ed Hill wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:46:04 +0200 Axel Thimm wrote:
On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 03:24:12PM +0200, Phil Knirsch wrote:

The solution debian and Gentoo iirc use which are basically
buildroots is the only way i know how you can cleanly separate
various archs on one system. Sadly you'll then loose the common and
sharable files, but any other solution will need very carefull and
detailed planing.
Personally I prefer banning multilib in rpm for good and if that would
be best done by using chroot solutions, I'm all for it. The multilib
implementation within rpm magic just isn't scaling and produces more
bugs on the way than we can fix.

I'm not familiar with the chroots used in Debian or Gentoo.  Can someone
please say a few words about their usability?  I'm just wondering about
the following:

 - do chroots require special permissions or group memberships?

- once you are in a chroot isn't it nearly impossible to access files outside it? Put differently, are there some interesting soft-linking or re-mounting gymnastics or other hacks going on here to get at, say, your ${HOME} or other random directories from a chroot-ed program?

It just seems to me that chroots are probably a lot less usable than
binaries placed in {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 or similar.

chroots and SELinux don't play nicely together at the moment either. You'd need to replicate the entire set of default contexts into each chroot.

Paul.