Re: Fedora for tiny devices - exessive dependencies

2007/4/2, Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov@xxxxxxxxx>:

Even today, then there are a lot of 70-80$ (typical price in Moscow)
1Gbyte flash-disks there are things that I can't accept. For instance
- we have a grub depending on 8mbyte-sized bulk of funny pictures
called fedora-logos. I saw another strange and very expensive
dependencies but always forget to create a bookmark.

I just found another one issue - fedora-release depends on basically
useless rpm called fedora-release-notes:

[root@dhcppc0 ~]# rpm -e --test fedora-release-notes
error: Failed dependencies:
       fedora-release-notes >= 6 is needed by (installed)
fedora-release-6-4.noarch
[root@dhcppc0 ~]#

Look, I understand that there are some people who like to read
eula-hula and other very interesting things that can be easily taken
from downloads.fedora.redhat.com or googled but I actually want to get
an opportunity not to install them. :)

Another one issue is further splitting of packages into sub-packages
and modularization. For instance I found useless for me mackage called
dbus-python. It contains python bindings for dbus and weights at about
600 kbytes. I can't remove it because smartmontools contains 24 kbytes
of python scripts which can be easily placed in something called
smartmontools-python. :)

--
With best regards!