Re: Fedora User Management (revisited)

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 12:45:36PM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> >> ??? When I install a package on machine A and machine B, I do not use
> >> 'userdel' overall.
> >
> > "a package/daemon writes files and/or reads files which are protected
> > by file permissions" does not do so by default from machine A to
> > machine B, right?
>
> Perhaps not "by default"; but this package might be used in a setup
> which shares network resources betwen A and B.

Ok, let's bite. Please name a couple that would be candiates for doing
so. Looking at the package registry for fedora-useradd I don't see
anything but perhaps twiki that would use shared networked folders
(and I'm not even sure about twiki either).

For example having clamav using a shared networked database for virus
signatures is out of question. Or zaptel would never mount its device
nodes from another machine.

If there are *real* use cases for sharing data across machines the
packager should request a fixed uid/gid.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net