Re: Fedora Developer Ranking System v1

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
FD0: Probationary/Training
      Write access to own packages only
---: Read-Only Access to Package SCM

Okay, here is what I am specifically interested in.  As a package
maintainer, I'd like to find a way to get upstream developers for some
packages involved as co-maintainers, if they are interested. What I'd
like is that initially I'm the primary maintainer, but I'd like to
have upstream people who are new to the fedora packaging process be
secondary maintainers, so I can work with them inside the SCM until
its clear to a sponsor that they can take over primary maintainership,
and I can dial back my involvement in that package to a secondary
maintainer role.  This way I can hopefully train up active
maintainers, who are less likely to orphan a package, without burning
myself out with packaging duties.

This is exactly the desired scenario: using FD0 to scale the project and multiply your efforts many times fold.

1) Existing Fedora contributor owns 50 packages.
2) Find upstream developers who are interested in more directly maintaining their own software in Fedora. 3) Ease them into the process with FD0, connect them to Fedora bug tickets and train them slowly so they aren't overwhelmed. 4) Over time they might feel comfortable in their limited role, and you can reduce your involvement in that package. Some might even choose to expand their involvement in other packages now that they understand the Fedora package process.

I hate watching package submissions from upstream developers languish
in review. I've jumped in and taken maintainership over in a couple of
cases, to keep the issue of sponsorship from keeping the package out.
But obviously that's not ideal, because it doesn't help the upstream
developer show necessary competence for sponser review.  I'd like to
think that some of us more veteran packagers can act as mentors for
these people in a way that lets them build a track record of correct
action for sponsors to review without holding up the packaging itself.
 Is the FD0 concept meant to help with this sort of scenario?

Yes!  You got it.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx