Re: Merge Review build step is redundant?

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Fernando Nasser wrote:
When reviewing a new package one needs to assert if the submitted SRPM really builds, so there is a step for the reviwer that consists in actually trying to build the package.

But for the packages of the "Merge Review" type, that are already built in Core, isn't this step unnecessary?

Yes and no. While Matt Domsch's builds are very helpful as a baseline, I've found (accidentally) that they're not quite perfect. First, he doesn't do ppc builds. I honestly haven't encountered any ppc-specific bugs (I've only done four Core reviews, though), and most reviewers aren't going to have ppc builders to test them against, so I'm not sure this is a particularly serious lack. Oh well. Second: Unless I'm mistaken, he only built published SRPMs. (Anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.) While this may seem like nit-picking (it does to me, and I know better), it matters if a maintainer made bad adaptations to a package after the last release was published. I have no idea how likely this is, but it did happen in one of my four reviews; I discovered a poorly implemented patch that made an inadvertant change that caused the build to fail. (Oops!) It was a completely understandable mishap, but I'm not sure anyone had picked up on it yet. I only did because I did a CVS checkout, ran `make srpm`, and threw that against my buildsys. Lucky catch. I don't think anyone is advocating doing rebuilds against the CVS copy; the only reason I did is because I got tired of leaching a bunch of files from Matt's stash. :-) I do strongly suspect that for 90+% of cases, Matt's builds are probably dead-on. As usual, he's doing very helpful work. Thanks, Matt!

     Jima