Review question about /var/log/* files.

Hi folks.

During the review of one of my packages (acpid) a question popped up for the logfile that acpid generates in /var/log/acpid

Should the package own this file (using %ghost voodoo) or not?

I've checked the http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines and couldn't find any reference to logfiles there.

My personal opinion would be that it depends on whether this logfile is directly connected to 1 package or not.

Take for example /var/log/messages. Loads of applications, demons, kernel and whatnots log stuff in there. So no clear association to one package can be done, ergo it shouldn't be owned by one random package that writes in there and be owner less.

On the other hand there are some very clear and defined logfiles that get written to by only one application. /var/log/scrollkeeper.log or the /var/log/acpid files come to my mind. For those i'd argue that, due to the nature of those logfiles being directly associated with one specific package and only one package ever writing to them.

It would be great if this could be discussed at the next meeting and some conclusion be added to the Review Guidelines.

Thanks,

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111