Re: FC7 plan comments

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 15:03 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:23:38 -0500
> katzj@xxxxxxxxxx (Jeremy Katz) wrote:

> > > I'd be happy for working dm-crypt support. The kernel bits work,
> > > but I can neither install (sanely) on such a device, and initrd
> > > support (for encrypted /) seems to be missing, too.
> >
> > The problem is that how do you handle this in the initrd?  You want to
> > be able to prompt a user (in their native language) as well as support
> > their native keymap.  This could very easily require an X server and a
> > lot of fonts and other bits.  At which point, exactly what are you
> > trying to accomplish?
> >
> > Encrypting data?  Very interesting.
> > Encrypting the OS bits that anyone can download?  Much less
> > interesting, IMHO
>
> I use a method described by my compatriot Sean at:
>
> http://www.tummy.com/journals/entries/jafo_20060326_215808
>
> It simply uses a small script in /etc/sysconfig/modules/
> (which runs right after udev) that loads the dm_crypt modules, and runs
> cyptsetup to prompt the user for the password on boot.

This can be a little bit better in terms of having the root filesystem
mounted and thus you can use X to be able to prompt in the appropriate
language and with the right keymap, but some of your questions below
remain _very_ relevant as long as we're talking about encrypting the
block devices.

> If you have the encrypted volume mounted a boot it means you either
> can't have unattended boot, or get things breaking that need to
> access /home before it's mounted. If you mount at login time, you get
> breakage for things that need /home (like mail delivery or the like if
> you send it there). How do you handle multiple users? Remote logins?
> Backups? Lost passwords?
>
> This is not an easy problem to solve, but I think it's very important
> to get some mindpower working on it. Having encrypted data is very
> nice, especially for the expanding linux laptop market.

When we're talking _data_, I really think that an answer along the lines
of ecryptfs[1] is a far more compelling answer than per-block device
encryption.  They're looking at doing encryption below a directory tree.
This means that each user can have a separate passphrase (or more
generally, token) for decryption and then they can even have
~/MyMoreSecretStuff which doesn't even get unlocked when they login.
This also helps for some of the cases like mail delivery as you can
specify that a subdir below the homedir that isn't encrypted for
mail[2].

> We should probably move this discussion to a more appropriate list, but
> I'm not sure what that would be. ;)

fedora-devel-list? :)

Jeremy

[1] http://ecryptfs.sf.net, although the current version doesn't support
everything that's really needed to make it compelling
[2] Although arguably, you should just not deliver to homedirs in this
case/have a dedicated mail server