Re: Heads-up: python 2.5 on its way

Jeff Spaleta schrieb:
On 12/6/06, Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is just a heads up that I'm in the progress of getting python
2.5 staged for the development tree.  At this point, I'm doing the
build on the side and trying to get a good chunk of the Core
packages rebuilt against it before pushing to the development tree
itself.  I'm still hoping to be able to do the actual move over
either later today or tomorrow (depending on how fast the Core
build system decides to be)

I need a clear policy statement with regard to how the frell I'm suppose to get my python packages in Extras rebuilt in a timely manner.

Do i have the authority to bump release packages underneath mine as needed? [...]

IMHO: yes; see
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/WhoIsAllowedToModifyWhichPackages

We should add the current problem at hand to the section below to make it explicit for the future.

Minor, general or cleanup changes

Sometimes there are situations where it's simply a lot easier to fix
stuff directly in cvs than via bugzilla and the proper maintainers.
So much easier that we should leave this path open. These situations
shouldn't arise that often. Some examples of situations were
bypassing the proper maintained is considered fine:

* support for a new architecture -- that often requires that a lot of
packages need adjustments or patches that packagers often can't even
test themself. Getting all those modifications in via bugzilla is a
lot of annoying work, so these things can be fixed directly in the
devel branch of cvs without contacting the individual maintainers if
the general effort was announced beforehand. A SIG should handle the
stuff and continue with normal operations after the initial porting
efforts are finished.
> * small fixes or adjustments for new or modified packaging guidelines
can be done directly in CVS after being announced some days in
advance.
> * mass rebuilds

CU
thl