Re: xemacs and xemacs-sumo changes for FE6 (and some general elisp packaging stuff)

Ville Skyttä wrote:
The most significant change for users and packagers is that the main
xemacs package will no longer pull in all the xemacs lisp packages
formerly in Sumos.  Users who upgrade will get the same functionality,
but ones who install from scratch, will need to install xemacs-packages
in addition to xemacs to get the same lisp bundle as was earlier pulled
in by just xemacs.  But packagers should be aware of the changes, too.
OK. Sounds find to me - probably most users don't need every package in xemacs-sumo anyway.
- Would it be better to fold all the sumo/lisp package things back to
the main xemacs source rpm?  This would allow making some things a fair
bit simpler, and would also make it possible to drop xemacs-nox
altogether; as long as emacs-nox exists, I'm not sure if anyone really
needs it.  The drawbacks of the bundling would be kind of gratuitously
arch-specific lisp subpackages (OTOH in rpm arch only, the content would
continue to be arch independent) and that updates for the whole shebang
would need to be shipped all at once.

IMHO keeping xemacs-packages separate is better and more conducive to pushing updates since they have tended to be released more often than xemacs. Personally I like to minimize downloading bits that are essentially unchanged from what is already installed.

Jens