Re: openmotif to be removed from Fedora October 2, 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 16:48, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Maintainers need to update their packages to use another motif
> implementation, lesstif (in Extras). It is not 100% ABI-compatible (and
> provides a different shared library soname), but all that should be
> required for most motif-dependent applications is changing
>
> BuildRequires: openmotif-devel
> BuildRequires: lesstif-devel
>
> and rebuilding/recompiling.

  Will lesstiff be available for older distributions (FC3 and FC4) or does
this only applies to FC6?

  I would like to rebuild grace and to know what the targets are.

  Incidentally I queried the license of the listed packages and I got:

$ repoquery --queryformat "%{name}\t%{license}" cmucl ddd geomview gpsd \
 grace Inventor mesa-libGLw nedit xlockmore xpdf
grace   GPL
ddd     GPL or BSD
cmucl   Public Domain/MIT
geomview        LGPL
Inventor        LGPL
nedit   GPL
xpdf    GPL
mesa-libGLw     MIT/X11
gpsd    BSD
xlockmore       BSD

  If we take the word that openmotif is essentially the IBM Public License (as
described in the openmotif forum), that license is incompatible with the GPL
so for those projects above we would need the license to be amended with that
exception or the final result is not distributable.

--
José Abílio