Re: Renaming a package

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 19:40 -0800, Denis Leroy wrote:
Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Hi,

What is this recommended/nominal procedure to rename a package in FE's
CVS?

I could imagine 3 approaches:

1. I "cvs add" the "old-package" as "new-package", edit the files
accordingly, then subsequently "cvs rm old-package".
I would recommend this, since this is the regular CVS approach. It's
important that the new-package CVS commit message includes a pointer to
the old name ("moved from old-package"), so that one is able to follow
this link to consult the CVS history of the file if necessary. By
removing the old-package files, and always using the -P (prune empty
directories) with cvs update, the old empty directory will be removed
automatically by CVS during the update.
This way, you're loosing CVS history of the files being involved.
No no you don't. You can rm a file, cvs remove it, and still acess its history with 'cvs log'. The history is merely split into 2 locations. That's why i was stressing that the log information should always mention the previous name and location.