Re: License text in binary packages

On 9/5/05, Toshio Kuratomi <toshio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 13:13 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:37:32 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> > >
> > > How are we supposed to deal with cases where the source did not ship a
> > > full copy of the license in order to add to %doc easily?  We are
> > > supposed to add another copy of the license to each SRPM?
> >
> > Do we have examples for this? (other than a missing GPL "COPYING" file)
>
> I just imported a LICENSE for pexpect.  The license is The Python
> Software Foundation license.  When I did this, I was a bit confused.
> Unlike the GPL, the PSF explicitly names "python" as "the software".
> Would the license need to have every instance of python changed to
> pexpect?  Would this be "relicensing"?
>
> foremost, which I posted about to fedora-extras earlier is GPL.  But due
> to its history as a work created by the US Government it was listed as
> Public Domain [1] in some places.  After exploring with upstream, it was
> discovered that most of the "GPL" work done on foremost was also US
> Government work and therefore Public Domain [1].  The project had
> included one file from another, GPL, project so the FSF analysis still
> applied.  So in this case, the license file was missing and it was
> decidedly non-obvious for a packager how the package should be licensed.
> If I had included one license with upstream's blessing but it turned out
> that they didn't have the right to use that license, who's at fault?

I would get a Fedora Legal written opinion on this, but from what code
I deal with from the U.S. Government.. these codes are always in the
Public Domain and could not be put under any license/copyright without
explicite permission from Congress.

Like all things legal.. it would be up to a court to decide who was at
fault for wrongly licensing a set of software.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator