Re: proposal to remove static libs from -devel packages for FC5

On 7/29/05, Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And if the static libs are split out, then it will give you the -static
> packages as well.  But at a huge cost of maintenance for the comps file
> + overhead of more headers in the rpmdb (with duplicated changelogs,
> etc).
>
> The more I think about this, the more I think that it's a solution in
> search of a real problem.

What is the recommended process for people who desire building a
static binary.. for say in-house usage?  If Fedora as a general rule
is removing static libs from binary packages... do people have to
rebuild the packages with editted spec files to get the staic libs
back? If so can there be a macro definition that can be used a switch
to quickly rebuild these src.rpms locally to get the statics back..
avoiding the need to edit a spec file by hand?

-jef