Re: proposal to remove static libs from -devel packages for FC5

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

We are talking about "changing packaging conventions" to reduce to
possibilities of potential bugs. If you guys are unwilling to change
anything on your packages, we can stop this discussion now.

We cannot change *everything* that has existed for years to suddenly follow a new ideal perfect conventions. If we did so, then we would have enforced that all library packages begin with "lib", and many other package changes that don't really benefit us. There is a significant maintenance and engineering burden for not only us, but 3rd party software providers when anything is changed.

Generally "old" stuff are grandfathered in for this reason.

Any ideal perfect convention of today might easily become different in the future, meaning more changes that may needlessly upset people and complicate engineering.

We cannot change *everything*, but it is OK to change some things. Where to draw the line is the key question with no simple answers.

Another example: I warned on fedora-devel-list a while ago that the influx of java packages with arbitrary names are polluting the namespace with names that are not obvious that they have anything to do with java. It has been suggested that java packages providing libraries should be named java-* and only applications can avoid this rule, similar to perl-* modules and perl software like spamassassin. This however upset our java people because it would be significant maintenance burden to fork from upstream jpackage, who had used these names in some cases for *years* prior to our importing.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx